Would you like to know the best Cancun resorts with a water park to let your children enjoy their vacation (and you on the same occasion)?
It is complicated to choose a resort just based on the pictures. Some water parks are separate from the resort; others only allow young children, and some are ridiculously small.
To help you search for the ideal accommodation, I stayed 10 days in Cancun and have spent hundreds of hours reading reviews of resorts to know the good and bad sides of each one.
If the water park is the number one criterion, I suggest staying at the Grand Moon Palace or Nickelodeon. Dream Vista and Hyatt Ziva are among the nicer resorts, but their waterparks are not very big (though decent). If price matters, the Wyndham Alltra offers excellent value.
Dream makers 😎
Best Cancun resorts with water parks: The Map
Mini-Reviews: Best Cancun resorts with water parks
This section will provide a brief and precise description of each hotel with its main characteristics.
1# Riu Dunamar
With its large water park, this huge all-inclusive family resort of over 700 suites, located on a white sand beach, is an attractive option for a family vacation with feet in the water.
The hotel has 5 outdoor pools, one very large with a swim-up bar in the middle of the complex, a water park with toboggans, and a kids’ pool with a playground. The spa also has 2 whirlpools.
- The furniture of the rooms is contemporary and functional. All have private balconies. Some of them can accommodate families, and baby beds are available free of charge. A babysitting service is possible at an extra cost.
- The pool area is well maintained, and there are plenty of sunbeds and chairs around the pools.
- The staff is pleasant.
- The Riu Dunamar, situated in a lush environment, is very far from everything. A taxi to Cancun’s hotel zone costs 65 USD, and the hotel does not have a shuttle service to Cancun’s downtown or any other tourist site.
- There is no room service.
- The complex, always full of kids, is rather noisy, around the pools and in the rooms that are not very well soundproofed.
Price: cheap – from 230 USD/2 people / Area: Costa Mujeres / Meals: included – not very varied & average quality /Cancellation Policy: 1 day
Planet Hollywood, on the Caribbean Sea, is a vast all-inclusive family resort with a flashy Hollywood atmosphere. They love kids who come with their parents for a fun stay on the water theme, under the sign of stars and sparkles. The water park has a lazy river with waterfalls, 4 pools, one of which is for adults only, a Jurassic Splash Park, a shipwreck cove pool with a Pirate of the Caribbean vibe, and a kids’ club with a playground. You can even use a surf simulator.
- The 648 stylish, movie-themed suites have private balconies. Some are well-equipped to accommodate families. Children up to the age of 1 year stay free. A 50% discount from the adult rate is applied for kids between 2 and 12 years old.
- There are many shops on site. A photographer takes pictures which you are free to buy or not. Do not hesitate to negotiate the price.
- The staff is friendly and very attentive.
- The breakfast buffet is quite good.
- At lunchtime, the wait can be long. There are not enough restaurants.
- The rooms can be a bit damp; Mexico is a tropical country.
- No need to take the resort credit; you will not use it.
Price: From 336 USD/2 people / Area: Costa Mujeres / Meals: included – good /Cancellation Policy: 14 days.
This imposing all-inclusive resort, shaped like a pyramid with impressive interior volumes, has private access to the beautiful beach of Playa Delfines. Its installations focused on open-air activities make it an exciting place to stay for both families and couples. The hotel has several outdoor pools, including a vast infinity pool, a water park for kids with water slides and a pirate ship, and a pool exclusively for children. The kids’ club and the teens’ club propose many activities.
- The rooms are spacious and modern, with an elegant Mexican design. Some suites can accommodate up to 4 people.
- The Iberostar Selection Cancun is only 15 minutes drive from the city downtown and is close to luxurious shopping centers, restaurants, and other nightlife venues.
- Its lovely full-service spa with sauna, pool, and hot tub is excellent.
- In addition to water activities, the resort has football and tennis courts and a beautiful 18-hole golf course.
- Room service is included in the price.
- The water park is more for young kids than for adults.
- The resort is regularly the setting for conventions attended by many professional speakers. The atmosphere loses a few of its festive characters.
Price: From 406 USD/2 people / Area: Cancun’s Hotel Zone / Meals: included – mixed comments for quality / Cancellation Policy: 3 days.
This newly built 502-suite all-inclusive luxury resort is surrounded by lush vegetation with private access to a quiet beach. Its facilities make it a pleasant option for couples looking for a romantic getaway or traveling with their children. The hotel has beautiful pools on 3 levels, 2 infinity pools with stunning ocean views, 6 hot tubs, a pool with a mini water park for kids, and a fun water slide facility.
- The rooms are comfortable and modern, all with a private terrace or balcony. The Family Junior Suites can accommodate up to 8 people.
- A Mayan-inspired spa offers quality treatments, and the hotel has a well-equipped fitness center.
- The staff is cordial and attentive, and a friendly team runs the kids’ and teens’ clubs.
- Guests over 18 can access the neighboring Secret Playa Mujeres Gold & Spa resort facilities.
- Golf fans can enjoy free practice rounds on the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf green.
- The resort is far away from Cancun’s lively areas and tourist attractions.
- The beach sand is not as white, and the water is not as turquoise as in Cancun’s hotel zone.
- There is a lazy river, but it is only for hotel club members.
Price: From 785 USD/2 people / Area: Costa Mujeres / Meals: included – varied – correct quality / Cancellation Policy: 1 day.
This hotel is a huge top-of-the-range all-inclusive resort with 1316 suites composed of 9 Art Deco-style buildings spread over a vast landscaped domain on the Caribbean coast. The fantastic water park for any age, with thrilling slides, splashes and waves pools, a surfing pool, and a lazy river, makes it the paradise resort for a fun and aquatic holiday with family or friends. The hotel also has 9 outdoor pools and an adults-only area.
- The rooms are elegant and comfortable, all with private balconies. The Grand Family Suite can accommodate up to 6 people.
- Golfers can enjoy the 27-hole green.
- There is a huge kids club playroom with a mirror labyrinth and a trampoline.
- The long beach is correct, but the water is not as lovely as in Cancun’s hotel zone.
- The area is so extensive that you must walk a lot unless you take the available transport service. It is not unusual to get lost.
- None of the rooms have an ocean view.
- The atmosphere is quite noisy, and couples without children may find it challenging to cope with the kids’ screaming.
- Book “the grand” Moon Palace to access 100% of the resort.
Price: Expensive – from 540 USD/2 people / Area :South of Cancun / Meals: included – good cuisine / Cancellation Policy: 14 days.
This all-inclusive resort is a large white complex with modern and well-designed architecture on the seafront with turquoise waters. It has the benefit of being a good value for money for a fun family holiday. In addition to daytime animations, two outdoor pools, a kids’ pool with a water park and a pirate ship, teens’ and kids’ clubs, and the ball pit with suspension bridges will keep young, and older guests occupied.
- Most of the rooms have a private balcony or terrace.
- The hotel is located in a vibrant part of Cancun’s hotel zone, close to restaurants, shopping centers, and other entertainment sites.
- There are Mexican dishes to taste, and even the fussiest kids will find something to eat.
- The water installations are good but not that big. There is no water park for adults.
- There are no nightly shows.
- The white sand beach is beautiful, but the sea can be rough. Keep an eye on your kids.
Price: From 250 to 750 USD/2 people / Area: Middle of Cancun hotels zone / Meals: included – good / Cancellation Policy: 14 days.
An amazing location at the end of the peninsula and top-of-the-range facilities make this all-inclusive resort a high-quality place for family holidays. Two beautiful white sand beaches, three large swimming pools, including a huge infinity pool overlooking the ocean, a teen’s club, and a kids’ club with a small water park accessible to young kids are all great options to enjoy the beauty of the site.
- With turquoise waters on its three front sides, the resort offers a fabulous view from its 547 rooms. They are modern and tastefully decorated. Some of them are for families.
- A lovely spa provides excellent treatments, and coaches give advice in a well-equipped fitness center.
- There are many activities during the day and entertainment at night.
- Some areas are for adults only, such as the rooftop infinity pool for the guests of the Turquoise Tower.
- The vibrant city area with restaurants, bars, and shops is accessible by foot from the hotel.
- Children under 13 years old are not allowed in the swim-up rooms with access to a semi-private pool.
- There are no whirlpool hot tubs.
- The price is quite high, but it is worth it for the services and the location.
Price: From 550 to 800 USD/2 people / Area: Punta Cancun – Zona Hotelera / Meals: included – mixed reviews about the cuisine / Cancellation Policy: 14 days.
This all-inclusive resort is a large building with modern and geometric architecture in a quiet seaside area east of Cancun’s downtown. The many daytime sports and entertainment activities, as well as the themed evenings and concerts at night, make it a good option for a fun family holiday. In addition to a small private beach on the Caribbean Sea, the hotel has 4 outdoor pools, including one for kids, with a water park and slides. The main pool is large, and there is also a pool for adults only.
- All 416 rooms are spacious and nicely designed with private balconies. The Family Suite can accommodate up to 8 people, and extra beds and baby cots are available free of charge.
- The hotel has a beautiful fitness room with an ocean view.
- The staff is efficient and always in a good mood.
- The terminal to take the ferry to Isla Mujeres is very close.
- The hotel is rather noisy, especially around the swimming pools. The kids’ screaming during the day and the music at night might reach your room.
- The restaurants for Club members are the best.
Price: Average – 420 USD/2 people / Area: Puerto Juarez / Meals: included – correct /
Cancellation Policy: 3 days.
This all-inclusive resort on a beautiful white sand beach is an impressive multi-story building with a roofed patio at its core. The great kids’ facilities and activities make it an ideal place for a family holiday. The hotel has 3 outdoor pools; the main pool in the middle of the complex is enormous, and one is for adults only. The big Treasure Island water park, for kids, with small slides and pirate décor, is the main attraction. There are also tennis courts and a climbing wall.
- The 505 rooms are simply designed, with balconies, some offering a beautiful ocean view. They are a section for families and another one for adults only. Some family suites have bunk beds and baby cots.
- According to their age, children can have fun at the kids’ club or the teen’s club. A baby club welcomes young ones from 18 months old.
- Access to the giant slides is supervised according to the size of the kids.
- There is a kids’ lunch buffet in the water park.
- The rooms facing the pools and the seafront can be noisy during peak periods.
- Sea can be rough; watch for kids.
- The hotel is quite old. Some areas still need to be renovated.
Price: From 351 USD/2 people / Area: South Cancun hotels zone / Meals: included – varied but average quality / Cancellation Policy: 3 days.
This classical hotel is an all-inclusive beachfront resort with direct access to the sea. Its relaxing atmosphere and facilities are mainly for families looking for a budget-friendly relaxing stay. The hotel’s heart is its colossal pool with different depth areas, waterfalls, a swim-up bar, and a kids’ pool area. Children can enjoy the kids club activities and the animal-themed water park with its short slides or have fun in the indoor area.
- There are 300 rooms, with a simple and a bit old-fashioned decoration. Some have a balcony with an ocean view. Extra beds and cots are available free of charge for families.
- The hotel’s spa is not immense, but it is of good quality; there are a Hammam and a fitness room.
- There is a good selection of food and drinks and 24-hour room service.
- Adults can enjoy water sports at the marina across the avenue.
- Wifi is available for a fee.
- There are a few sun loungers on the beach.
- The hotel dates from the 80s and needs to be refurbished.
Price: From 259 USD/2 people / Area: South Cancun hotels zone / Meals: included – varied & good / Cancellation Policy: 7 days.
This small Mexican hacienda-style hotel is an all-inclusive resort made up of two buildings on both sides of the avenue and linked by a passage under the road. It is a small-scale establishment with the advantage of being an economical option for a family stay. Its main lagoon-style pool, with 3 whirlpools, is on the beachfront side; on the other side, there are a family pool and a kids’ pool with a small water park and slides.
- The 115 rooms are simply furnished and have ocean or garden views. The Junior suites have a kitchenette. Some of them are designed to accommodate families.
- The hotel has various facilities for entertaining, a fitness room, and an indoor theater for nightly shows.
- The resort is close to the ferry terminal for Isla Mujeres.
- The access to the beach is direct, but it is narrow and close to a marina; you can smell the boats’ gasoline.
- The water park is located in the part of the complex that is not on the beachfront. It is not very well maintained and closes very early.
- The hotel would need to be renovated, particularly some rooms where you can notice moldy smells.
Price: From 201 USD/2 people / Area: Cancun / Meals: included – not very good / Cancellation Policy: 3 days.
This resort, built in the 1990s on a beautiful white sand beach, comprises two large arc-shaped buildings surrounding the domain. With its entertaining facilities and activities, it is an all-inclusive resort ideal for families and groups of friends looking for a relaxing and fun stay on a reasonable budget.
The hotel has 4 pools, including an infinity pool, a family pool with a kids’ area, and a pool for adults only. There is a giant water park for kids up to 12 years old and big slides.
- The 617 rooms are functional, most have an ocean view, and there are family suites for 5 or 7 people.
- Depending on their age, children can enjoy the baby club, kids’ club, or teen’s club, with a climbing wall and a zip line.
- The hotel has a mini-golf course and an adults-only nightclub and organizes evening shows.
- The water park is separate from the pool area, and you can entrust your kids to the care of the animators who watch over them.
- There is a non-stop food and drink service. There are many bars.
- Non-buffet restaurants require reservations 24 hours in advance.
- In the peak season, the hotel is crowded and noisy; guests are mostly families.
- Some areas and rooms are outdated and need work.
Price: From 285 USD/2 people / Area: beginning of Cancun hotels zone / Meals: included – varied & good / Cancellation Policy: 14 days.
In this new resort, whose decoration is full of fantasy and amusing elements, everything is designed for entertainment in an aquatic atmosphere. Its great amenities make it a luxurious all-inclusive resort for families looking for a fun holiday without worrying about the budget.
The hotel’s main attraction is its huge water park, surrounded by vegetation, with many themed installations, 21 super slides, and several lazy rivers. It is the best water park for kids in Cancun. There are also two pools, including an infinity pool.
- All 280 rooms have a balcony or terrace with an ocean view. Each category has a different play theme, and the décor is modern and colorful. Family suites can accommodate up to 5 and 7 people.
- Many lifeguards ensure the safety of the kids in the water park.
- The hotel offers a free shuttle service to the airport.
- There is a 24/24 room service.
- The domain is vast. The suites are far from the water park, and a shuttle service is available; there may be a wait.
- There are boutiques and a grocery shop on site, but they are costly.
- The beach is not really nice.
Price: From 830 USD/2 people / Area: Puerto Morelos – South Cancun / Meals: included – quite good / Cancellation Policy: 14 days.
Booking Guide: Pick your Cancun resort with a water park
Here are some practical tips before booking your resort with a water park in Cancun.
Some resorts are free for kids
To limit the cost of a family holiday in one of Cancun’s all-inclusive family resorts, it is best to look for hotels that offer discounts or even free accommodation for kids under 12 (Planet Hollywood). Some provide extra beds and baby cots free of charge (Dreams Vista Cancun Golf & Spa Resort, Royal Solaris Cancun).
Can you go to the water park with your kid?
Depending on the dimensions and facilities of the water parks, it may or may not be possible to go with your kid. Some are exclusively for young children, while others have a minimum height restriction. There are also water parks where lifeguards or animators supervise the kids’ safety.
The Crown Paradise Club Cancun water park is for kids only, but lifeguards watch over them.
→ Costa Mujeres, north of Cancun, is bathed by a Caribbean sea with calm, shallow waters. Many of the resorts in this area are set in beautiful tropical vegetation and have large, lovely private beaches. The water is not as turquoise, but compared to the south side of the coast, it is a little warmer, and the beaches are better protected from seaweed.
Costa Mujeres is about 45 to 60 minutes from Cancun airport, and it takes about 35 minutes to get to Cancun’s hotel zone.
It is a quiet area, convenient for a chill-out vibe.
→ Puerto Juarez, slightly north of downtown Cancún, is a quiet beachfront area away from the busy city center and hotel areas. The marina is an excellent connection to Isla Mujeres by ferry and for sailing excursions.
It takes about 25 minutes by car to reach the entrance of the Zona Hotelera and about 30 minutes to go to the airport.
→ Cancun hotel zone is a narrow, 7-shaped stretch of coastline surrounding the Nichupté lagoon and bathed by the Caribbean Sea.
The vibe between Cancun downtown and Punta Cancun is family-like; Punta Cancun is the joyful heart of the area, while the southern part is quiet.
Due to erosion, the beaches are small between Cancun downtown and Punta Cancun. There are beautiful and endless white sand beaches from Punta Cancun to the south.
The waters are turquoise blue and calm between Cancun downtown and Punta Cancun. In the middle of the hotel zone, they are rougher, with waves and currents.
It takes an average of 25 minutes to get to the airport.
→ The area south of Cancun is isolated from the hustle and bustle of the Cancun hotel zone and the downtown; it is quiet.
The water is clear, sometimes rough. The beaches are lovely, but not always very wide. During the seaweed season, they can be crowded.
It takes 45 minutes to get to the hotel zone and 30 minutes to the airport.
→ Located about 20 km south of Cancun, Puerto Morelos has the quiet vibe of a small provincial seaside town. The beach is small but nice, the waters are clear, and there can be some waves depending on the time of the year.
Puerto Morelos is 45 minutes from the Cancun Hotel Zone, and it takes about 20 minutes to get to the airport.
Price matter a lot in an all-inclusive
One of the most important criteria for choosing all-inclusive resorts is the price.
It varies according to the location, the standard of the amenities, and the services they offer. Of course, the quality of the cuisine is also a factor; even if it is usually well-varied, it is not always as good as you would expect.
Beware, not all services are inclusive. While most food and drinks are included, some restaurants and bars are exclusively for VIPs when the option is available, and some spirits are not free. Services, such as some spa treatments, or babysitting, may be extra.
Is it worth taking the resort credit?
Some all-inclusive resorts offer “resort credits” to be used on services that are not included in the all-inclusive package (some spa treatments, romantic dinner, scuba diving); most of the time, their amount depends on the duration of your stay, and the category of your suite. Think carefully before taking them, considering the offered services and knowing that some extra services will be possible subject to prior reservation and availability during your stay.
Resort credit can be used for another stay, or it can be transferred to another guest.