Do you want to decide between Cancun’s best hotels quickly?
It is difficult to make the right choice between the thousands of options in Cancun. It takes time, and you will never be 100% sure of your decision.
Luckily for you, you came to the right page. I stayed more than 10 days in Cancun to find the best places. And I spent more than 50 hours analyzing the online reviews of the best hotels in the city. It was long, but I drew some exciting conclusions.
Here are my top 5:
- Affordable hotel to experience the real Cancun: The Quetzal
- Best luxury hotel in Cancun: Nizuc Resort & Spa
- Best affordable beachfront hotel: Kin Ha Villas & Suites
- Best luxury all-inclusive resort in Cancun: Le Blanc spa resort
- All-inclusive resort with the best value: Wyndham Alltra Cancun
Keep reading to discover why they are my favorites and learn how to choose among the best Cancun hotels (part 2).
👉 Don’t hesitate to read our Cancun guide to plan your vacation and not make any more mistakes. You will find all our articles about this destination.
Plan your trip around Cancun
In 2 months, I’ve spent more than 10,000 USD to test the best activities in the Riviera Maya. Stay with me to quickly decide which experiences you should do and learn how to make the most of your trip.
mAP: Best Cancun Hotels
Cancun best hotels: Mini reviews
Here is a short list of the best Cancun hotels. Discover why we like them!
Best Luxury Hotel in Cancun: Nizuc Resort & Spa
If you were to arrive at the Nizuc hotel blindfolded, you would think you’d been taken to an oasis in the Seychelles or Maldives islands due to the hotel’s luxury, the sea’s colors, and the scenery in general.
This resort showcases 13 kinds of rooms, including private villas by the sea. In some of the rooms, you’ll find hot tubs, private pools, terraces, tropical gardens, free-standing tubs, and magnificent views. All away from the noise of the Cancun and Playa del Carmen hotel areas.
it’s one of the best luxury hotels in Cancun because:
- The hotel decorations and architecture pay tribute to the ancient Maya culture, so you’re reminded this is Mexico.
- It’s located just 10 minutes away from the Cancun International Airport.
- You can do all kinds of activities, from yoga to playing tennis, snorkeling, yacht excursions, cigar rolling, and paddle boarding.
- You can taste gourmet food with wine pairings, accompanied by a live Cuban music group. You’ll find Mexican, Asian, Mediterranean, and Peruvian restaurants to choose from.
- Massages at the hotel are usually fully booked and can be pricey (between 250 and 300 USD). Also, you may find lots of seaweed in the summertime.
- If you plan to go to the nearby cenotes (natural pools in limestone rock) and miss the crowd, you may book private ones.
Price: From 700 USD/2 pers | Area: South Cancun Hotel Zone | Meals: Delicious (pricey too). No free breakfast | Cancellation Policy: 7 days | Beaches: 2 (1 for snorkeling and 1 kid friendly)
Best upscale family hotel: Marriott Cancun Resort
The Marriott Cancun Resort, located in the heart of the Cancun beach area, is a great place to stay with family and friends or in a romantic plan. There are 448 rooms, many with a view of the turquoise sea.
One of its main features is that several eating options vary from typical Mexican to Italian and Asian food. The service at the hotel is outstanding. There are servers in the open areas if you want to eat or drink by the heated pool or on the private beach. And don’t worry about your kids. They’ll have a lot of fun with table tennis or giant chess games.
- It is conveniently located 20 meters away from the white, sandy beach that looks like powder.
- The modern architecture offers ample spaces, shops, restaurants, and a huge heated outdoor pool that opens until 11 p.m.
- The Sacbé Beach Shack on the beach stands out. You can have drinks and cocktails while listening to a DJ in a casual ambiance.
- It features a health spa and a fitness center.
- Some guests say the outdoor pool is a bit too deep for kids that don’t know how to swim.
- For couples, you can arrange a private dinner on the beach. To advance in the romance, you can also set up a wedding on the beach.
Price: From 275 USD | Area: Center Cancun Hotel Zone | Meals: Delicious restaurants. Breakfast included | Cancellation Policy: 3 days | Beach: Beautiful white sand beach and turquoise water. Strong waves are frequent.
Best upscale hotel with pool: JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
The outside appearance of the JW Marriott resembles an oasis in the middle of the desert. And this design strongly relies on the shapes and colors of the four pools surrounding the main building. There are also palm trees and huts that adorn the pools.
Everything at the place is thought for guests to have a relaxing experience: from spacious rooms to infinity pools and massages at the Mayan-inspired spa.
- VIP customers can enjoy Club 91, which showcases luxury hotel rooms and suites with lots of marble and natural wood. The club occupies floors 11 and 14.
- The JW Marriot Cancun Resort connects with the next-door resort through a walkway or the beach (in case you want to increase your dining options).
- Since the pools are the heart of this hotel, bar employees always make sure you have a glass of margarita in your hand. You can get grilled food by the outdoor pool.
- There are many food options, among which the Sasi Thai restaurant stands out.
- Some guests complain about the noise of corporate events or children at the pool (you can opt for the adults-only pool).
- You should check if the extra price you pay for Club 91 is worth it. Some guests say the benefit does not compensate for the extra monetary effort.
Price: From 425 USD | Area: Center Cancun Hotel Zone | Meals: Food on site is correct but expensive. You have access to the other Marriott restaurants. | Cancellation Policy: 3 days | Beach: Beautiful white sand beach and turquoise water. Strong waves are frequent.
Best medium–range hotel in Cancun: The Quetzal
The Quetzal is right for you if you’re fun of smaller Cancun hotels to get a more home-like feeling at an affordable price.
The hotel operates in a three-story house with a swimming pool, gardens, free parking, a fitness center, free wifi all over the property, bathrobes, slippers, and breakfast in bed (if you prefer).
- It can look like a small hotel, but the rooms are very comfortable and impeccably clean.
- Guests appreciate the quality and warmth of the service provided by the staff and the owner.
- Breakfast is a la carte and differentiates itself from the typical buffet-type breakfast.
- The place is located 18 km from the International Airport and near public transportation.
- It tends to be loud music by the pool in the afternoons, which may bother some guests.
- If you need a late checkout, you can ask the owner, and you’ll surely get the chance to enjoy a bit more before your trip back home.
Price: From 107 USD | Area: Cancun Downtown, 10 min walk from ADO bus station | Meals: Breakfast is included and fantastic | Cancellation Policy: 4 days | Beach: No beach.
Best economic hotel in Cancun: Bed and Breakfast Pecari
If what you need in Cancun is a place to rest at night, after touring the surroundings, and then regain your energy with a great breakfast, then B&B Pecari will be the right hotel.
The Pecari features a small but inviting pool in the backyard. The rooms are comfortable enough for short stays. They include full bathrooms and air conditioning.
- The breakfast is the most highlighted characteristic of this hostel. It is prepared by the owners and shared in an open kitchen with other guests.
- The owners are very welcoming and are always ready to provide the best service possible.
- The hotel’s location is very central, near public transportation.
- The rooms are spotless and spacious. There’s even a desk where you can work.
- The rooms are not soundproof, but nights are generally quiet.
- The hosts are great if you want tips on visiting places or getting around.
Price: From 48 USD | Area: Cancun Downtown, 20 min walk from ADO bus station | Meals: Breakfast is included and delicious | Cancellation Policy: 3 days | Beach: No beach.
Best hotel in Puerto Cancun: Renaissance Cancun Resort & Marina
Although this is a resort hotel, it feels more like a hotel for business travelers because it’s not near the beach. To make up for this, the hotel features a beach club where you will get the vacation feeling you’re looking for.
However, the newly built Renaissance presents beautiful rooms with a view of the city and the marina. It also features fast Internet and the ideal infrastructure for those who might have to work in Cancun.
- The rooms are very nicely decorated, large, and include a big flat TV plus two free bottles of water.
- It’s conveniently located within walking distance of malls, a food court, restaurants, and bars.
- It showcases a well-equipped sauna, hot tub, and fitness center.
- This is a place where you can avoid the crowds and noise of the main hotel area in Cancun.
- In some of the rooms, you can hear noise and music from the bars and restaurants in the marina area. That doesn’t happen to the rooms with a view of the harbor.
- If you want to go to the beach, this hotel provides a shuttle service to the beach club, where you can enjoy the swimming pool, the restaurant and bar, and the spectacular white, sandy beach.
Price: From 206 USD | Area: Puerto Cancun (good restaurants and bars) | Meals: Breakfast (buffet & a la carte) is included and fantastic | Cancellation Policy: 2 days | Beach: You’re next to a harbor, but a private beach club is nearby.
Best Rooftop Pool hotel in Cancun: Canopy by Hilton Cancun La Isla
The pool on the rooftop at Canopy by Hilton lets you enjoy views of the Nichupte Lagoon and the ocean, along with a fitness club, a jacuzzi, and a bar on the same floor.
The modern rooms include attractive wall designs, fancy chandeliers and lamps, bathrooms with double vanities, and breathtaking views.
- The hotel is very well located, just 3 minutes away from La Isla Entertainment Village, restaurants, and premium shops. The Mandala Beach Club is very near, too.
- The bus stop is right in front of the hotel.
- There is DJ music and entertainment by the pool on the rooftop.
- You’re given a glass bottle in the room to refill with filtered water at different stations at the venue.
- Some guests complain that the service by the pool could be better. Also, there could be more shade, and the pool is not heated.
- This hotel is excellent in the end-of-the-year season because the bad smell of the rotten seaweed on the shore doesn’t reach it.
Price: From 206 USD | Area: Cancun Hotel Zone, next to the massive commercial center La Isla | Meals: Breakfast is included | Cancellation Policy: 2 days | Beach: 1 km walking to the closest public beach — Playa Marlin.
Best Private villa in Cancun for your family: Villa de las Tortugas
If you travel with your family or friends, Villa de las Tortugas is like renting a fully-equipped apartment. There, you can cook meals and do barbecues while enjoying the best of what Cancun has to offer.
These villas showcase 3 rooms and 4 bathrooms to host 10 people. Besides, you have laundry service and people to serve your needs during your stay, such as cleaning, although that comes at an additional cost.
- The villa has access to the beach in one of the least crowded spots in the area of the Cancun hotel zone.
- If the sea gets too rough, or in the evenings, you can always use the villa’s communal pool.
- Privacy in the villa is great. The rooms are on the upper floors, so they don’t mix with the social area on the first floor.
- You can enjoy a terrace facing the beach. This spot has sitting areas, tables, umbrellas, and lounge chairs.
- The villas don’t have private pools, and neighboring villas are pretty close.
- The driver and the cleaning lady at the place have received plenty of praise from guests.
Price: From 440 USD | Area: South of the Cancun Hotel Zone | Meals: You cook your meals | Cancellation Policy: No refundable | Beach: You’re right on the beach.
Best family hotel in Cancun: Beachscape Kin Ha Villas & Suites
Another stay option for large groups, small families, or trips with friends is the Kin Ha. You’ll find standard rooms, one-bedroom suites, and 2 and 3-bedroom villas. Everything is located on a large property full of gardens, a big pool, and walkways.
You can enjoy a restaurant, bar service, and some shops inside the main building. Did we mention the fully equipped kitchen? This is an excellent option for large groups who don’t want to overspend in restaurants and are keen on cooking.
- The 132 rooms that the venue has are comfortable and offer the necessary amenities.
- Internet access is free and accessible from the hotel rooms and common areas.
- For an extra fee, couples with small children wanting to spend a romantic night or time alone can get a babysitting service.
- If you don’t want to cook, you can add breakfast to your fee.
- The rooms are not as modern as they could be.
- You can see the sunset from the beach bar, where they also serve great hamburgers.
Price: From 158 USD / 2 pers | Area: Punta Cancun (Hotel Zone). 10 min walk from the nightlife district | Meals: You book a villa with a kitchen or eat at the restaurant (good) | Cancellation Policy: 3 days | Beach: One of the best Cancun beaches, with calm sea and protected from the sargassum.
Best Eco Hotel in Cancun: El Rey del Caribe
The Rey del Caribe has an agreement with Grupo Gema del Mayab. This accord seeks to protect the area’s sea turtles and dolphins. For instance, they discourage people from swimming with dolphins because it promotes animal abuse.
You can feel the “eco” atmosphere as you enter the property. The hotel, decorated in a full-Mexican style, is full of plants and flowers. All the rooms have access to a central pool and jacuzzi. The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Cancun.
- Water in the room showers is heated with solar energy, and rainwater is collected for later use. They also have strict recycling norms.
- The plants and gardens make you feel in the middle of a rainforest.
- The rooms are small but comfortable. Some even feature kitchenettes. They offer good air conditioning.
- The hotel is near the ADO bus station.
- The hotel looks outdated, and the staff at the front desk don’t speak English. Rooms on the first floor can be humid.
- You may try to check in before noon and get a room right away.
Price: From 95 USD / 2 pers | Area: Cancun downtown, 5 min walk from ADO bus station | Meals: Fresh breakfast included | Cancellation Policy: 3 days | Beach: None.
Best apartment hotel near the airport: 1st Luxury Warehouse
Being close to the airport is a plus for 1st Luxury Warehouse, in case you’re tired after your trip. It’s located in the middle of some warehouses, so the feeling is somewhat “industrial.”
The apartments are very modern, with open spaces and very well-equipped kitchens. Induction cooktops in the kitchen islands and large fridges are part of the appliances. The rooms are large with very comfortable beds.
- The host really offers a superb level of service. He helps you with whatever you need.
- The rooms have snacks and beverages at affordable prices.
- It features a large LED TV with Netflix.
- The rooms, beds, and bathroom are impeccably clean.
- You need a car to move around because it’s not close to shops, the beach or restaurants. Windows are small, so there’s not much natural light coming in.
- The short distance to the airport and the fast Internet make it perfect for business travel.
Price: From 101 USD / 4 pers | Area: 5 min drive from the airport, not super easy to find it | Meals: Some snacks are available (extra cost), and there is a kitchen | Cancellation Policy: 4 days | Beach: None.
Best Cancun hotel near the airport: Álamos Inn Hotel
Álamos Inn Hotel is located in a very green spot. It features palm trees and lush vegetation in the interior. The swimming pool, bar, and restaurant are excellent. You have the chance to eat your meals by the pool.
It offers a variety of rooms, some with bunk beds for the kids, others with equipped kitchens and patios, and some suites feature a jacuzzi. All rooms have a view of the garden. You can also have a free bike to go around the area.
- It is very close to the airport (a 20-min drive), and some restaurants are in the area.
- The hotel has few employees to keep sanitation norms, but the quality of the service is outstanding.
- The hotel is tranquil. You can drink in the pool area while enjoying the vegetation and atmosphere.
- Complimentary tea, coffee, and water at all times.
- Some rooms can be small and not adequately soundproofed.
- If your return flight is at night, they keep your luggage for the day. You can also shower in the common areas before going to the airport.
Price: From 95 USD / 2 pers | Area: Cancun Downtown, 20-min drive from the airport | Meals: Breakfast is not included. You can order food (good) | Cancellation Policy: 1 day | Beach: None.
Best Cancun Hostel: Nomads Party Hotel & Hostel
Not many hostels offer a rooftop pool with a bar and restaurant from where you can see sunsets. The Nomad does.
This hostel offers you the possibility of private rooms with bathrooms and mixed dorms if you’re on a budget. In the dorms, you can meet people from all over the world, which adds to the experience.
- This is a party hostel, so meeting people and sharing drinks is part of the experience.
- The dorms feature comfortable and clean bunk beds (with individual curtains for more privacy) and lockers for storage.
- Common areas include hammocks, a steam bath, and a sauna.
- The rooftop pool area includes other sports facilities.
- Some guests think the AC is too cold and rooms are not soundproof enough.
- You have access to laundry services, free bikes, and cooking spaces.
Price: From 71 USD / 2 pers | Area: Near Cancun Downtown, 8-min walk from the ADO terminal | Meals: Breakfast is included | Cancellation Policy: 2 days | Beach: None.
Mini Review: Cancun’s Best All-inclusive hotels
Here is a short list of our favorite resorts in Cancun. Discover why we like them!
Best Cancun resort for couples: Beloved Playa Mujeres
Beloved Playa Mujeres by the sea offers 107 rooms for you and your partner to enjoy if you’re on a romantic trip. There are different types of rooms: some include a jacuzzi, private pools, or private plunge pools.
The facilities are fantastic. You can use 4 different outdoor jacuzzies, do water sports, use the gym, do yoga and pilates, or take cooking lessons. For an extra cost, you can access various spa treatments. While you dine at any of the 4 restaurants (French, steak house, seafood, and Italian), the staff readies your room and places chocolate bites.
- Pools are not crowded because there are many.
- There’s always a member of the staff at hand to assist you.
- Drinks and cocktails served at 7 bars and lounges are premium class.
- You don’t need to make reservations for dinners.
- Some of the outdoor pools are not heated.
- The restaurant dress code doesn’t accept beach sandals, shorts, or collarless shirts.
Price: From 500 USD / 2 pers | Area: North of Cancun, Playa Mujeres | Meals: All inclusive. 4 restaurants | Cancellation Policy: 2 days | Beach: Private, large, and with white sand and a calm sea.
Best Cancun resort for families: Hyatt Ziva
All you can eat, drink, and enjoy is the motto of this spectacular beach hotel. You can eat any time you want at 8 different restaurants and drink at 7 bars are lounges.
During the day, take your children (including teens) to one of the two kids’ clubs (with a water park) while you join your trainer for an energetic gym lesson. Afterward, enjoy a yummy meal before enjoying the entertainment around the infinity pool.
In the early evening, gather at the theater to attend shows (musicians, acrobats, dancers) that will delight all ages.
- The hotel offers 547 rooms in different categories.
- If you want privacy and quiet, there is an adult-only area with a bar and restaurant.
- Children between 5 and 12 have a water park. Older teens (between 13 and 17) can enjoy a special club to meet new friends and play video games.
- You have many eating options: Italian, Mexican, French, Asian, or burgers.
- The French restaurant is for adults only.
- The resort is quite large, and finding your way around takes a little time. Not a big deal, though, as the resort is beautiful.
Price: From 570 USD / 2 pers | Area: Punta Cancun, hotel zone | Meals: All inclusive. 8 restaurants | Cancellation Policy: 14 days | Beach: 1 private beach and 1 public beach. Turquoise sea.
Best Cancun resort for adults only: Le Blanc Spa
Le Blanc Spa is a sophisticated resort for adults or couples who want to relax and enjoy the benefits of activities by the sea. The whole experience is completed by soothing aromas and healthy food options, not wild partying.
The 260 guest rooms come in three types: lagoon, ocean, and resort. Four pools are available for you to enjoy or even do work out in the water, different from just swimming (water spinning, for example).
- The Le Blanc Spa resort offers a butler service that complimentary irons two garments per person at no additional cost. The butler can also polish your shoes, prepare your bath, and pack and unpack your suitcases.
- You can choose from various scents, and the staff aromatizes the room for you.
- The vast gym is one must-see. There you’ll be able to take pilates and yoga lessons. Water spinning and paddleboard yoga are other activities available.
- You have 6 restaurants to choose from Japanese, Healthy, Italian, Steak House, and French. It’s one of the most famous hotels in Cancun for dining.
- Only the most expensive rooms have private balconies.
- You can enjoy a 14-course tasting dinner at the French restaurant for an extra fee.
Price: From 850 USD / 2 pers | Area: Punta Cancun, hotel zone | Meals: All inclusive. Fine dining. 6 restaurants | Cancellation Policy: 5 days | Beach: 1 private beach and 1 public beach. Turquoise sea.
Best Cancun all-inclusive resort to have fun: Excellence Playa Mujeres
This all-inclusive resort in Playa Mujeres sits 25 min. Away from downtown Cancun, which makes it a perfect getaway. Room service is 24/7, so you can order food or ask for whatever you need in the middle of the night, after a party, or after a heavy-drinking session.
Food is good at the 12 restaurants available. The Indian restaurant is worth trying, for this option is almost unique among all hotels. Drinks at the Martini bar are a delight. They also have a great selection of the best coffees to offer you 24 hours a day.
- This hotel offers nightly entertainment shows, such as theater, live music, and DJs.
- You can learn numerous activities, such as cooking, Spanish, and sports like kayaking, soccer, sailing, and tennis.
- For an additional fee, you can get a massage at the spa. The session includes one hour of hydrotherapy.
- Views from the guest rooms are magnificent.
- Not all restaurants are open every day.
- Try to get a room away from the entertainment area but close to the ocean for quiet and great views (buildings 8 and 9 are good options).
Price: From 465 USD / 2 pers | Area: North of Cancun, Playa Mujeres | Meals: All inclusive. 14 restaurants | Cancellation Policy: 2 days | Beach: Private, large, white sand, with a calm sea.
Resort with the best value in Cancun: Wyndham Alltra Cancun
The Wyndham Alltra Cancun sits in the middle of the action in Cancun. This hotel welcomes families, friends, children, and couples alike. Adults can enjoy the facilities and services while kids have fun at the waterpark and kids club.
From your window, you’ll see the magnificent turquoise ocean in the hotel’s front and back. In one of the 7 restaurants, buffet meals are available all day.
- Around the pool, there are activities and music from 12 noon to 4 p.m.
- The liquor brands are above the standard. Drinks are also served at the pool and beach bars. Some of the bars are open until 11 p.m.
- The suites have breathtaking views of the ocean.
- The full-service Spa is highly praised (at an extra fee). It includes a water journey with a steam bath, a cold plunge, and an outdoor hot tub.
- Rooms on the first and second floors are noisier and do not have ocean views.
- For chairs on the beach, you have to be an early bird.
Price: From 236 USD / 2 pers | Area: Center of Cancun’s hotel zone | Meals: All inclusive. 7 restaurants | Cancellation Policy: 14 days | Beach: Beautiful white sand beach with turquoise water. The Caribbean sea might be rough here.
Resort with the best open-minded parties: Desire Riviere Maya Resort
The Desire is a truly erotic, romantic hotel where nudism is an option. Upon arrival, you’re greeted by the staff with a glass of sparkling wine. Activities during your stay include “spicy” pool parties, theme nights, and romantic accommodations.
The venue includes 4 gourmet restaurants and unlimited premium alcoholic beverages. Also, day and late-night snacks are available. At this hotel, you will meet open-minded people from all over the world.
- The hotel administration promises to fulfill fantasies in all their 114 rooms.
- Privacy is something the hotel cares for. Taking pics is prohibited.
- Staff members quickly learn your taste in food and drink and always anticipate your needs.
- You get a personal butler to bring you beverages or provide other services.
- Open preference for premium guests in purple towels can bother other guests.
- There’s also the possibility of swinging couple.
Price: From 600 USD / 2 pers / Minimum 2 nights | Area: South of Cancun, 20-min ride from the airport | Meals: All inclusive. 3 restaurants | Cancellation Policy: 30 days | Beach: Small but nice.
Best Cancun resort for wild parties: Temptation Cancun resort
This is also an adults-only hotel (minimum 21 years old), with optional, topless areas. This is a playground for grown-up people. The hotel features 430 modern suites.
During the day, staff members are in charge of designing a sexy agenda in which you can participate. There’s live music and DJs and drinks till 2. am. And to replenish your energies, you have 7 restaurants and one gourmet cafe to choose from.
- For an additional fee, you can get room service 24 hours a day if you don’t feel like getting out of bed.
- Liquor and beer are acceptable, but cocktails are washed down.
- The She restaurant offers an aphrodisiac experience with food — although you don’t come to the resort to eat well.
- Female guests can go to the beach topless at any time.
- Some guests get bothered by commercial timeshare offers.
- Nobody bothers you if you don’t want to participate in erotic activities.
Price: From 335 USD / 2 pers | Area: Between downtown Cancun and Punta Cancun | Meals: All inclusive. 7 restaurants | Cancellation Policy: 14 days | Beach: Small beach between 2 marinas.
Best Resort South of Cancun: Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
An aerial view of this beachfront resort gives you an idea of its magnificence. The infinity pool dominates the design, with the buildings surrounding it. A bar in the pool allows you to have premium drinks, such as single-malt Scotch whisky, without getting out of the water.
Grand Residences is thought for families, so kids have special areas and activities designed for them. Also, the suites include great beds for the small ones and in-room sitting areas.
- Regarding food, you have theme nights: Argentine, French, BBQ, etc.
- Cocktails are mixed with premium liquor, a differentiator from other accommodations. Good wines are also served with supper.
- The rooms feature Nespresso machines and a jacuzzi. And also, great views.
- Children have excellent carers who always provide them with safety and plenty of activities to keep them entertained.
- Some guests feel the location of the hotel is somewhat secluded.
- If you want good service at the beach, let the employees know you’ll be there.
Price: From 370 USD / 2 pers | Area: South of Cancun, Puerto Morelos, 25 min from the airport | Meals: All inclusive. 3 restaurants | Cancellation Policy: 1 day | Beach: Nice small beach with plenty of umbrellas.
Booking guide: Best hotels in Cancun
So, what do you think about our list of the best Cancun hotels?
The following section will give you many valuable tips for making the right decision.
Should you stay at a resort?
Let’s see the Pros and Cons.
- Food and drinks are included, so you don’t have to spend time looking for restaurants outside.
- Usually, resorts are located in modern buildings with lots of amenities.
- Staff members are always ready to make you feel at home and differentiate their hotel’s service from others.
- Beach resorts offer you a variety of water sports (non-motorized) and other physical activities.
- The facilities provide more areas for entertainment and sports and more space for gardens, vegetation, and pools.
- Nightly entertainment shows, such as theater, concerts, live music, and parties, are more common at resorts.
- Resort members have more privileges than regular guests.
- You feel so comfortable that you’ll probably feel lazy to visit the pyramids or other places of interest.
- Food is usually not the greatest, with few exceptions.
- It may be pricier than other options.
- There are some extra expenses, such as tips, tours, and special activities.
- Timeshare salespeople may be bothersome.
Should you stay in a hotel?
Let’s see the Pros and Cons.
- You’ll go out of your hotel to explore the pyramids, the cenotes, and other spots in the Yucatan Peninsula.
- It’s more affordable than a resort.
- You will have an authentic experience of the country.
- You need to take more things into account.
- You have to look for restaurants and spend money on food.
- Hotels organize fewer activities for guests than resorts.
Stay at Costa/Playa Mujeres
- This exclusive spot in the Cancun area is ideal for swimming and enjoying white, sandy beaches.
- In Playa Mujeres, you get away from the noise and crowds of the Cancun hotel area.
- This area is very safe because access is restricted to only guests, members, and residents.
- The site is beautiful. It consists of golf courses and beach resorts.
- This area is relatively new, so there are few eating options around unless you stay at a resort.
- People may feel a bit secluded from the “action” in the Cancun hotel area, the shops, and the restaurants.
- Two hotels in this area are Beloved Playa Mujeres and Excellence Playa Mujeres.
Stay in Puerto Cancun & Puerto Juarez
- This is the luxury neighborhood in downtown Cancun.
- The beaches are not as crowded as the ones in the hotel area.
- Eating options are great because you’re in the heart of the town.
- This is a great place to be if you want to explore the neighboring isles.
- The El Meco archaeological zone is nearby. This zone showcases a Maya pyramid and some ancient buildings.
- It features Playa El Niño, a beach where you can find many bars and restaurants.
- Shopping lovers can easily access Puerto Cancun Mall, where you find shops, restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- A good hotel in the area is the Renaissance Cancun Resort & Marina.
Stay in the North Hotel Zone (Punta Cancun)
- This area features beaches with natural and original Cancun sand, which is softer than that on other beaches.
- It is located between downtown and Punta Cancun. This portion of the shore is the busiest of the hotel area.
- The sea here is usually calm as it is protected from strong winds.
- Public transportation in the area is plentiful.
- There is an assortment of hotels, among which you can find some European-style accommodations. Everything is within walking distance.
- It’s the party area of Cancun. You’ll find the highest number of discos, bars, and restaurants in town.
- The area has three great stays: Beachscape Kin Ha Villas & Suites, Hyatt Ziva, and Temptation.
Stay in the Middle Hotel Zone
- Apart from places to eat and drink, this area features beaches, shopping malls, and water sports centers.
- You can enjoy the beautiful white-sand beaches and swim here, even if the ocean is rougher.
- Between May and October, this is the place where turtles come to lay their eggs on the beach. The babies hatch between July and December, so this spectacle is worth seeing.
- Two hotels in the middle area are JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa and Wyndham Alltra Cancun.
Stay in the South Hotel Zone (with Punta Nizuc)
- The Maya ruins of El Rey are at the south end of this area.
- This area is the best in the hotel zone to look for some peace and quiet.
- Waves in this segment of the shore allow for moderate surfing.
- The Punta Nizuc end is a good spot for snorkeling.
- While snorkeling, you can submerge in an underwater museum. This museum is designed to revive the coral reef below.
- The beaches in the south feature white sand and also some sea turtles.
- The best hotels in this area are Nizuc Resort & Spa and Villa de las Tortugas.
Stay in Cancun Downtown
- The center of the town is where you best experience the local feel of Cancun.
- The dining options are abundant, and you find the Mercado 28, a colorful outdoor market.
- Downtown showcases plenty of nightclubs, cocktail bars, and restaurants.
- This is the favorite place for those travelers who want to hit the road and explore the Yucatan Peninsula.
- Prices for food, drinks, and accommodation downtown are much more affordable than elsewhere in Cancun.
- The hotels you encounter in this area are budget, midrange, boutique, and hostels.
- You can take public transportation from the EDO bus station and go to places of interest, such as Tulum, the pyramids of Chichen Itza, and Playa del Carmen.
- This area has several good hotels: The Quetzal, Bed and Breakfast Pecari, El Rey del Caribe, Álamos Inn Hotel, and Nomads Party Hotel & Hostel.
Stay in the South of Cancun (Riviera Cancun)
- Riviera Cancun is the segment of the shore where many secluded and massive resorts are located.
- You can also find nearby some beautiful cenotes. Those are huge holes in the limestone rock, filled with fresh water, where you can swim or dive.
- These beaches allow for surfing, and the water is great for diving (you’re in front of the Great Mayan Reef)
- If you just want to snorkel, you can see the coral reef and colorful fish in crystal-clear waters.
- You can visit the Croco Cun Zoo and the botanical garden.
- Some great hotels in this area are Desire Riviere Maya Resort and Grand Residences Riviera Cancun.
What do you plan to do in Cancun?
Cancun has such a generous stay offer that you must decide on the type of atmosphere you want. You should also think about the activities you prefer: Relax? Party? Do sports? Peace and quiet? Drink until dawn?
- Cancun is a lengthy shore. The north and south tend to be more isolated in terms of shopping malls, restaurants, and overall activity.
- The south part is closer to cenotes, parks, and Mayan ruins.
- Remember that the hotels are meant for different kinds of customers: families and kids, couples, adults only, partying, etc.
- Spring break is when many U.S. students go to Cancun, so it can be crowded and noisy.
- The end of December is high season. At the same time, the weather in that month is not as warm, but there’s a pleasant and comfortable breeze.
Think of this: Do you plan to be pampered at a resort? Do you just need a place to sleep before exploring the Peninsula’s places of interest? That can be key when choosing a stay option.
The Sargassum season
- If you like the Caribbean sea, for example, you should know that the beaches are not in the best condition between April and August due to seaweed. In that case, you have to think of a nice pool or activities different from swimming in the ocean.
- Playa Mujeres is not as exposed to seaweed as the rest of the hotel zone, thanks to the effect of Isla Mujeres.
- Seaweed tends to accumulate on the shore. When it rots, it smells bad.
- Also, it’s not nice to swim and get tangled or touched by seaweed.
Bottom line: Best hotels in Cancun
To choose the right hotel in Cancun, you must determine your plans first.