My travel advice for Colombia
I’ve been traveling in Colombia for more than 1.5 years (until now). As you can read it everywhere on this website, I’m here to help to create an itinerary to Colombia.
This section concerns what you should think about before to have your butt on a plane to Colombia. The detailed articles will be published step by step.
Why you should travel to Colombia
When I told my friends that I’ll make a trip to Colombia, they asked me ” But, why Colombia?”
Then, when I canceled my trip around the world to come back to Colombia, people again asked me “But, why Colombia?”
And now that I’ve decided to open my travel agency soon for Colombia, guess what people are asking me? “But, why Colombia?”
When you’re traveling, some countries kick you in the gut. You’re more at ease; everything seems natural. It’s my case with Colombia.
This country has stolen my heart. So let me answer this recurrent question that keeps on burning your mouth: But Why Colombia?
In case you’re still hesitating, I wrote in an article 40 Unexpected reasons why you have to go to Colombia
The weather in Colombia
In Colombia, the temperature doesn’t change a lot depending the seasons. But, there is still a major factor which matters: The rain.
There are two seasons in Colombia: The windy season and the raining season
The windy season
It’s like summer for the Colombian because it’s always sunny. The period is from Mid-December until beginning of April. The sea on the Caribbean coast is more agitated.
The raining season
First, you have to learn something important. It’s not because it’s the raining season that it gonna rain all day long. Most of the time, it’s still sunny every morning and it will rain a little (or sometimes a lot) in the afternoon/evening. The period is from April to Mid-December
The “wetty” months are May, October, and November. You have more chance to avoid the rain if you’re going south (South of Cali).
In all cases, you will enjoy your adventure to Colombia.
Buy a cheap flight ticket
It’s important to be a little flexible if you want to have some cheap flight ticket to travel to Colombia. The most important points are
- Avoid the weekends
- Avoid the touristy seasons
- Use tools
I wrote a detailed article about it if you’re interested The step by step guide to get a cheaper flight to travel to Colombia
Pack your backpack for Colombia
Article coming soon
Is Colombia Safe?
Yes, Colombia is safe. But as any country from South America, you need to follow some basic safety rules
- Keep your passport in a safe place and only carry a photocopy of your passport
- Don’t play the tourist with flashy clothes
- Don’t take your phone or credit card when you go out at night
- Smile and speak to the locals
- In case of aggression, don’t resist
- Don’t be wasted alone
- Take a taxi at night
- Always put your day bag on your knee in the public transports
- Don’t show your material stuff to everyone or in a dark street
- Be confident
Visa and Vaccines
- The Visa is free (except for the Canadians – Payment at the entrance)
- You will receive 90 days
- You need your passport (valid minimum 6 months) with 2 blank pages and an exit proof of the territory
- It’s possible and easy to renew your Visa one week before the expiration
- The vaccines Hepatitis A and Tetanus are obligatory
- I would recommend also Yellow fever, Typhoid, Hepatitis B and Diphtheria
- In my opinion, you don’t need to take the Malaria pills
- February: Carnaval of Barranquilla (3rd biggest in the world)
- July: Rock in the Park festival in Bogota
- August: The Medellin flower fair
- December: The Cali fair