Tulum: The Ideal Travel Guide
All you need to enjoy Tulum better than anyone else
Tulum is a small fishing village in the Riviera Maya, 2 hours from Cancun, that has seen its popularity explode (too fast) with international travelers. Its long white sandy beaches are now filled with boutique hotels in the famous “barefoot-luxury” style, gourmet restaurants, wellness centers, yogas, and clubs that host techno music festivals until the wee hours. Prices are even higher than in Cancun. In addition to the beautiful Mayan ruins overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Tulum is a strategic destination to visit other Mayan sites (Coba & Chichen Itza) and beautiful cenotes. I traveled around Tulum and the surrounding area for over 2 months to find the best accommodations and experiences.
👆 Please share it with your fellow travelers.
Where is Tulum
Tulum is located in the department of Quintana Roo, 45 minutes from Playa del Carmen, 2 hours from Cancun, and 3 hours from Bacalar. It is the end of the famous Riviera Maya.
Where to stay in Tulum
In addition to my extended stay in Tulum, I spent hundreds of hours analyzing traveler reviews and forums (Reddit, TripAdvisor) to analyze Tulum accommodations.
There are two main areas where you can stay in Tulum:
- Tulum downtown is where the “real” city is. Accommodation and food are a lot cheaper over there. You won’t be able to walk to the beach (4km from Tulum beach).
- Tulum beach is the most famous tourist area. This is where travelers stay if they want to wake up by the Caribbean Sea. Many luxurious hotels, restaurants, and bars have been built on both sides of a dirt road.
You will find comprehensive articles on how to find a place to live that suits your budget and needs:
- Best hotels in Tulum beach.
- Analysis of the best resorts in Tulum.
- Avoid kids. Here is the list of the best adult-only resorts (sometimes all-inclusive) in Tulum.
- Should you stay in the district of Aldea Zama in Tulum?
- Or you should pick an apartment in La Veleta?
- Why should you stay or visit downtown Tulum.
- My secret guide to knowing everything about Tulum Beach.
- How to choose among the best 5-star hotels in Tulum
What to do in and around Tulum
In addition to idyllic beaches, there are many day trips to organize from Tulum. Here are my reviews to help you make the right choices:
- Best cenote tours from Tulum
- Best Chichen Itza tours from Tulum
- A complete guide for snorkeling in Tulum
Practical information about Tulum
Tulum has changed a lot in recent years. Between the waves of tourists and the sargassum, it is helpful to have good advice to spend a happy vacation without bad surprises.
Here are some interesting articles to help you travel better: