Let’s be frank. No one knows Paicol and yet it is a fabulous option for travelers who transit between San Agustin and Bogotá and don’t want to take a straight 16-hour bus ride. You can add this authentic and not very touristy destination to your itinerary in Colombia if you are in this case.
Only 40min south of Neiva, Paicol is a small colonial village – only 7 streets – built in 1701. Also known as Puerta del Viento, Paicol is a quiet and safe place where everyone knows each other.
In the evening, the inhabitants gather in the main square. They sit on the same bench or share a coffee around the corner.
In Paicol, you can also enjoy the natural surroundings with the activities offered by Naventura, a top local agency:
- Discover the famous Caja De Agua that could make Paicol more famous. It is a cave that you can explore with a guide. Sensations guaranteed, claustrophobic abstain!
- Look for some thrills in rafting in the rapids of the Paez River.
- Discover the surrounding hills by mountain bike.
- Initiate yourself to waterfall abseiling in a magnificent setting.
- Enjoy a quiet and restful village and charming surroundings.
Would you like to add Paicol to your itinerary to Colombia?
Find all the information you need in our Paicol travel guide.