Located 5-6 hours from Popayan, the village of San Agustin is famous for its vast collection of stone statues. It was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995.
San Agustin and its surroundings are considered one of the largest necropolises in the world. Even today, these sculptures still hold many mysteries.
More than 500 statues of various sizes and shapes are scattered in different archaeological sites: Parque Arqueologico, Alto de Los Idoles, El Tablon, La Chaquira, La Pelota, El Purutal, Alto de Las Piedras.
However, after more than 10 days in the area, we discovered that San Agustin has even more to offer than a ” mere ” fabulous archaeological site.
Indeed, the mountainous nature of the area offers great options for outdoor enthusiasts. Add enough days to your Colombian itinerary to suit your desires:
- Visit the different archaeological sites
- Horseback riding, half a day, full day or several days
- Walk to the hidden waterfall of Los 3 Churros.
- Visit a coffee farm
- Rafting down the rapids of the Magdalena River
- Go bird-watching
- Plan a multi-day hike in the paramos of “Las Papas”. Wild nature and breathtaking landscapes on the menu. Difficult level of difficulty due to very changing weather conditions.
Would you like to add San Agustin to your itinerary to Colombia?
Find all the information you need in our San Agustin travel guide.