La Barra, Juanchaco, Bahia Malaga, and Ladrilleros are the most easily accessible villages on the Colombian Pacific coast. It is therefore also the most visited area, especially on weekends, during the holidays and during the whale season (July to mid-September), as it is only 4 hours from Cali.
Boats commute travelers between Buenaventura and Juanchaco. It takes 1 hour to get there. However, don’t sleep in Juanchaco, the town is quite dirty and messy, there is better.
Although the regions of Nuqui-Guachalito and El Valle are more attractive, the village of La Barra and the Bahia Malaga National Park are two excellent options if you decide to visit Cali and its surroundings during your stay in Colombia. You will certainly be seduced by the imposing waterfalls, the mangroves, the endless black sand beaches, and the vision that here, nature still has all its rights!
Note: there are no ATMs. Bring all the cash you need.
Getting to La Barra & Ladrilleros? (+)
From Cali to Buenaventura:
- Bus at the main terminal. Departures every 20 min till 7 pm. Leave in the morning to catch the boat to Juanchaco. | Corredor Del Pacifico | 3 h
From Buenaventura to Juanchaco:
- Get a cab from the terminal to the dock (“muelle turistico”) | 10 min
- The best company is called Bahia Mar. You must arrive at least 30 min before departure. 4 departures per day: 8h00 am, 10h30 am, 1 pm & 4 pm. | Bahia Mar | 1 hour
- You can stop at the Pacifico hostel if you want.
From Juanchaco to La Barra or Ladrilleros:
Take a moto-taxi or a caro-taxi from the Juanchaco “muelle”:
- Juanchaco – Ladrilleros: 10 min
- Juanchaco – La Barra: 25 min
From Bahia Solano to Buenaventura:
- You can take a cargo that leaves from the Bahia Solano “muelle”. It can be fun during the whale season. It usually leaves on Wednesday or Saturday, but it might vary. You first need to call captain Oscar: +57 311 340 67 16 or Leonor: +57 312 267 07 49. There is an office in Bahia Solano. 3 meals and a bunk bed included. | Transportes Inversiones | 18 – 24 hours
- There is a direct speed boat that leaves on Thursday (might vary). It can be super unpleasant if the ocean is rough. Buy your ticket in Bahia Solano. Departure depends on the tides. Usually around 4h30am. | Dos Bravo | 7 hours
Where's the port?
Buenaventura’s “muelle turistico” is only 5-10min from the bus terminal by taxi.
You could almost go there on foot but given the insecurity in this town we recommend you take a taxi.
Note: if you take the cargo ship ask Oscar for the address of the port of embarkation, because it is not at the “muelle turistico” but at the port itself.