There is nothing better than a nice short stay in the Antioquian countryside to forget the worries of everyday life. I have compiled a list of the best hotels in Guatapé. It will help you make the right choice and get the rest you deserve.
I have been to Guatapé 4 times and have reviewed all the 9+ rated hotels on Booking.
The winner of this selection is Serendipity. The hotel is located in a quiet area by the lake. Guillermo is a charming host who runs his establishment flawlessly. All travelers are fans.
I have classified the best hotels in Guatapé in different categories.
Take your pillow and follow me.
Guatape c. house
- From 137 000 COP/2 pers
- 3 days cancellation
- Near town
- From 280 000 COP/2 pers
- 7 days cancellation
- Facing the Peñol
- From 850 000 COP/2 pers
- No cancellation
- Facing the Peñol
Best hotels in Guatapé
We have developed an in-house magic formula to compare the best hotels in Guatapé. This allows us to calculate a new rating that takes into account the number of traveler reviews and the average price per night in Guatapé.
1# The winner of the best hotels in Guatapé: Serendipity
10/10 – Tomplanmytrip Note
Serendipity Hotel is the ideal option to come and relax in a quiet place in front of the Guatapé lake.
- Excellent value for money for the area.
- The excellent attention of the owners. In addition, their cuisine is unanimously appreciated by travelers.
- The hotel offers several activities (including a boat ride). Ideal to liven up your day.
- The establishment is neatly laid out, with comfortable rooms and many cozy corners. The views are wonderful. You can easily walk to the Piedra del Peñol.
Price: From 280 000 COP | Cancellation Policy: 7 days | Distance from Guatapé: 12 min by car | Type of accommodation: Hotel Boutique
2#Best luxury hotel in Guatapé: Bosko
9.9/10 – Tomplanmytrip Note
Bosko offers an unforgettable glamping experience in “mushrooms”. It is the perfect place to celebrate an occasion with your partner.
- There are few rooms and the staff is attentive to each guest.
- The activities offered by Bosko are excellent. Some of them, such as kayaking, paddle boarding or campfire, are included in the price. Every day fresh food is used to prepare delicious dishes.
- The quality of the facilities and rooms is first class. The domes have everything you need to spend a pleasant night, with air conditioning, a king size bed and a private terrace.
- It is one of the best glamping in Colombia.
Price: From 850 000 COP | | Cancellation policy: No | Distance from Guatapé: 6 min by car | Type of accommodation: Glamping
3# Best hotel for families in Guatapé: The Boato
9.6/10 – Tomplanmytrip Note
The Boato Hotel offers spacious, comfortable and modern chalets on the shore of the lake. It is the perfect choice if you come to Guatapé with your family.
- Large cabins (85 square meters) equipped with kitchen and whirlpool bathtub. Up to 6 people can sleep in them. The price becomes quite advantageous!
- The property is secluded with large green spaces for children to play.
- There are 3 adorable dogs who love to be petted.
- The staff will help you organize your activities. Campfire, kayaking and paddle boarding are included in the price.
- The food at El Boato is delicious. You can choose to cook in your cabin or order from the restaurant.
Price: From 858 000 COP/4 pers | Cancellation policy: 7 days | Distance from Guatapé: 17 min by car | Type of accommodation: Cabins
4# Best hotel in Guatapé to relax: El Trebol
9.5/10 – Tomplanmytrip Note
El Trebol offers small and comfortable cottages scattered around the lake. You will have all the tranquility you need to recharge your batteries. It is also a very good option if you come with friends.
- There are hammocks and the hotel provides everything you need for a picnic by the lake.
- The staff is charming and brings breakfast to your room. You will eat while listening to the birds.
- Kayaks are available (for a fee). Take one and go on a solo adventure among the artificial islets of Guatapé.
- The apartments can accommodate up to 5 people and have everything you need to be totally autonomous.
Price: From 290 000 COP/2 pers | Cancellation policy: 30 days | Distance from Guatapé: 12 min by car | Type of lodging: Rural houses
5# Best hotel in Guatapé for your pet: Bahia del Peñón
9.3/10 – Tomplanmytrip Note
Bahía del Peñón offers simple and comfortable houses in the middle of nature. Pets are accepted.
- Don Luis and Maria Camila, the owners, love pets. You won’t pay any extra.
- It is a secluded place where you can easily walk with your dog.
- All rooms have a kitchen and a balcony overlooking the lake.
- It is an excellent option to come with family or friends. The hotel offers many activities (kayaking, sauna) and the studios can accommodate up to 8 people.
- Please note: The road to Bahía del Peñón is not in very good condition.
Price: From 270 000 COP/2 pers | Cancellation policy: 5 days | Distance from Guatapé: 14 min by car | Type of accomodation: Houses and apartments
6# Best quality/price hotel: Guatapé Country House
9.2/10 -Tomplanmytrip Note
No need to break the bank to have a good time. Guatapé Country House is a beautiful lodge near the village.
- The warm welcome of Señora Libia will make you feel at home.
- You can walk to Guatapé from the hotel. It is not necessary to take your car or a tuk tuk to go to the restaurant.
- It is a nice place, with a flowery garden, and cozy rooms.
- Pets are allowed free of charge.
- Note: Breakfast is delicious, but not included in the room price.
Price: From 137 000 COP/2 pers | Cancellation policy: 3 days | Distance from Guatapé: 3 min by car | Type of lodging: Hotel
7# Best unique hotel in Guatapé: Levit Glamping
9.2/10 -Tomplanmytrip Note
Levit Glamping is an even more unusual place than Bosko. Come here to sleep in Lunas, in a remote area, far from the other hotels in Guatapé.
- Levit Glamping can only be accessed by boat.
- The lunas are little canvas domes that open to 180 degrees. Close by, you have a private terrace with shower, chairs and umbrella.
- The rooms are scattered on the hillside, in the middle of nature. The deluxe options have a whirlpool tub with a magnificent view of the lake.
- Please note: You are not allowed to bring your own alcohol or food. Having to do everything on site, it is possible that some travelers may feel trapped.
Price: From 515 000 COP/2 pers | Cancellation policy: No | Distance from Guatapé: 5 min by boat from the Marina Navegar dock | Accommodation type: Glamping
8#Best hostel in Guatapé: Bacoa Hostel
9.1/10 – Tomplanmytrip Note
No one wants to travel with you to Guatapé? Don’t worry, at the Bacoa Hostel you will meet many friendly travelers.
- It is a pleasant place, in the middle of nature, with a staff that brings very good energy. Come here to relax.
- The meals are delicious and the prices are affordable. They are served at large wooden tables. It is easy to get to know the other guests.
- You can choose between a tent (with a bed) or wooden cabins.
- Please note: 1. They use shared bathrooms 2. It’s secluded.
Price: From 80 000 COP/2 pers | Cancellation policy: 30% | Distance from Guatapé: 30 min by car | Accommodation type: Hostal
9# Best budget hotel in Guatapé: Las Palmeras
8.9/10 – Tomplanmytrip Note
It’s your first time in Guatapé and you want to organize an economical trip from Medellín? In this case, I recommend Las Palmeras.
- Hotel Las Palmeras offers rooms for 1, 2, 3 or 4 persons.
- The rooms are small and clean. Perfect for resting at night and making expeditions during the day.
- The hotel is in the town of Guatapé. You can find inexpensive restaurants and get there by bus from Medellín.
- Note: The town can be noisy at night during the weekend (music and people).
Price: From 78 000 COP/2 pers | Cancellation policy: 7 days | Distance from Guatapé: In the center | Type of accomodation: Hotel
10# Best hotel in Guatape with free cancellation: La Honda
8.3/10 – Tomplanmytrip Note
Cabañas la Honda can be an interesting option to book if you are still not sure about coming to Guatapé. Or if you are planning a weekend with friends.
- Free cancellation until 2pm on the day of arrival.
- The houses are simple but well equipped and can accommodate 4 to 5 people.
- The place is away from the tourist area, with direct access to a beautiful waterfall.
- Note: This hotel is located near the town of El Peñón (not the town of Guatapé).
Price: From 250 000 COP/4 pers | Cancellation policy: Same day | Distance from Guatapé: 15 min by car | Type of lodging: Houses
How to choose your hotel in Guatapé
There are many great hotels in Guatapé. Depending on your wishes and plans, some will be better than others.
Let’s see what you should think about before making your decision.
Why are you coming to Guatapé?
There are two reasons why you might want to come to Guatapé:
You want to enjoy nature and relax by the water: Some of the hotels are isolated. They are perfect options for a quiet weekend. Avoid staying in the town of Guatapé— It is noisy at night: The Boato, Levit Glamping or Bacoa Hostal.
What type of accommodation are you looking for?
The landscapes around Guatapé are relaxing. It is an ideal place to find lodging that blends in with nature.
There are also some hotels in Guatapé that offer the rental of an entire house, fully equipped. The prices can be very interesting if you come with your family or friends: The Boato, El Trebol, Bahia del Peñon.
How to get to Guatapé
The bus from Medellín can drop you off at different places along the road (including near the Piedra del Peñol). To get around, you will have to use tuk-tuks. There are many in town. The trip between Piedra del Peñol and Guatapé costs about 10,000 COP. Include it in your budget.
If you have your own vehicle, do not hesitate to choose a hotel far from Guatapé. Attention: most of the dirt roads leading to the hotels are in bad condition. It is better to have an elevated car.
How long to stay in Guatapé
If you just come to enjoy the town and climb to the top of the Piedra del Peñol, one night will be enough. Some tours offer a round trip in the same day from Medellín.
Weather and tourist season
Guatapé is a very visited place. Many people come on weekends, especially if it is a Monday holiday. If so, book your accommodation in advance and organize your visit to Guatapé and Piedra del Peñol in the morning. Try to return to Medellín in the early afternoon to avoid traffic jams.
The nights are cold in Guatapé. Bring a sweater for the night.
How I have chosen the best hotels in Guatapé
I have analyzed the hotels in Guatapé according to the following criteria:
- Notes on Booking
- The reviews
- Average price per night
- Number of rooms
- The location
- Uniqueness of the establishment
- The experience of the stay.
In a nutshell
Guatapé is a very popular colonial town. Choose a hotel on the outskirts to enjoy the beautiful scenery at the water’s edge and be at peace. That’s why we selected Serendipity.
Couples who want to celebrate a special event will be amazed with their stay at glamping Bosko.
And if you have a limited budget, invite some friends and opt for one of the villas at El Trebol.
So which hotel in Guatapé will you stay at?
Guatapé Travel Guide
Free online guide about Guatapé to access, in a few clicks, all the practical information to visit this town in Antioquia.
Find the best hotels in Colombia
Travel like a local
After 5 years in Colombia, we wrote a mind-blowing Free guidebook to help you to travel through Colombia…