The archipelago of San Bernardo is composed of 10 paradisiacal islands south of Cartagena, on the Western Caribbean Coast. Unfortunately, 95% of the islands are private, and there is very little space to enjoy the beach freely.
The choice of the island and your hotel is, therefore, crucial!
- Isla Tintipan has the most beautiful public beach. It is an excellent choice for couples.
- Isla Mucura is mainly private, and the size of its beaches is very limited. It is the right choice for a group of friends.
- Isla Palma is the closest to Rincon del Mar and has a hostel.
- Casa en el Agua is a famous hostel/island but overestimated, in my opinion.
The prices are quite high, so it is not the ideal place if you have a tight budget. If this is the case, staying at Rincon Del Mar is a highly recommended option as the atmosphere there is magical and authentic.
Note: Avoid weekends as many day tours depart from Tolu and the islands are crowded 😉
Articles about San Bernardo you must read before coming:
Getting to the San Bernardo Islands?
From Tolu to the San Bernardo Islands:
- Boats leave from Tolu around 8 am. The local companies there sell day trips, but you can ask to be dropped one Isla Mucura or Tintipan. | 1 hour
From Rincon del Mar to the San Bernardo islands:
- Organize a trip with a local fisherman (100 – 150 000 COP) | 40 min.
- You can also stop on Isla Palma | 25 min
From Cartagena to the San Bernardo islands:
- Take a boat from the touristic harbor (Muelle de la Bodeguia) to the San Bernardo Islands. Tell them the name of your hotel on Isla Mucura or Tintipan. 8 Kg max. More information here | Tranquiteasy | 2 hours