Santa Marta is a medium-size city nestled on the Caribbean coast.
It’s far from being my favorite city in Colombia because there is not much to do in the center. Plus, the beaches are unpleasant and crowded with street vendors and foreigners.
But, Santa Marta is a touristic hub ideal for organizing your different activities and tours in the region. Thus, there is a high chance you will have to pass by there.
Decide what you wanna do in advance, try to minimize the time spend in Santa Marta, and you should be fine 😉
Also, some of you could appreciate the luxury beach Hotels Resorts in Rodadero and Bello Horizonte.
Where is Santa Marta
Santa Marta is near the Sierra Nevada, between Tayrona and Cartagena.
Why would you like to visit or pass by Santa Marta
- Exploring the Sierra Nevada of Santa Marta and the national park of Tayrona
- Booking 5-day tour to the Ciudad Perdida
- Birdwatching in the Cuchillo San Lorenzo
- Passing your Open Water Diver Certification
- Because you’re coming from San Gil with the night bus
- Chill in a Luxury Beach Resort Hotel
- Organizing a trip to the La Guajira desert
How much do you need to enjoy Santa Marta and around
- Bus for traveling to Minca or Tayrona: Around 10 000 COP | 3 $
- Night in a dorm: Around 35 000 COP | 12 $
- Hotel in Rodadero (2 pers): Around 180 000 COP | 60 $
- Luxury Beach Resort hotel (2 pers): Around 900 000 COP | 300 $
- Open Water Diver Certification: Around 900 000 COP | 300 $
- The Lost City Trek: Around 1 100 000 COP | 330 $
- A trip to Playa Cristal: Around 110 000 COP | 37 $
Events in Santa Marta
- Fiesta del Mar: End of July
Best time to visit Santa Marta
- For the weather: From December to March and June to August
- High season: December to February
Santa Marta and Taganga are a bit dodgy at night. The Rodadero district is safer.
Where to go out in Santa Marta
- In the center of Santa Marta
- The hostel La Brisa Loca – wild party + Rooftop
- La Puerta – Nightclub
- Crab’s bar – Rock bar
- La Azotea – Nightclub with rooftop
- In Rodadero
- There are many bars and significant events for the celebrations like New Years Eve
- La Escollera is a nightclub on an island
- In Taganga
- El Mirador – Nightclub with view on the ocean