Located on the north Caribbean coast, La Guajira is the largest desert in Colombia. The landscape is composed of beautiful beaches, vast arid lands with some bushes, yellow dunes, and a green oasis.
Although you can get to Cabo De La Vela by public transport, you will have to book a tour to get to the most beautiful sites of this bewitching desert. Be aware that you will spend most of your time in the jeep. However, the scenery is worth it.
99% of travelers take the same 3D-2N tour to Punta Gallinas, which is the northernmost point in South America. Jeep tours start from Santa Marta, Dibulla, or Riohacha.
If you are looking for a “deeper experience” and more cultural, go meeting the Wayúu (the indigenous people of La Guajira) and learning about their habits and customs. However, choose your agency carefully as some of them are tourist traps.
Also, try to add Macuira National Park to your itinerary in Colombia if you have the soul of an adventurer. It’s an oasis hidden in the desert!
Articles about La Guajira you must read before coming:
Would you like to use private transportation?
Wanna fly over?
Getting to La Guajira?
From Santa Marta to Riohacha:
- Many buses leave from the Mercado public (Public Market) or you can take one the few buses leaving from the main terminal | Copetran & many others | 3 h
- Or ask for private transportation
From Palomino to Riohacha:
- Wait for a bus to stop on the side of the road | 1h30
- Or a taxi
From Tayrona to Riohacha:
- Wait for a bus to stop on the side of the road | 2h
- Or a taxi
From Dibulla to Riohacha:
From Bogota to Riohacha:
From Cali to Riohacha:
From Medellin to Riohacha:
From Cartagena to Riohacha:
From Riohacha to Cabo de la Vela:
- You can book a private tour | 3 hours
- Or take a bus till the crossroad “4-vias” (1h) then take a jeep to Cabo de La Vela (2h)
From Cabo de la Vela to Punta Gallinas:
- There are private tour leaving from Cabo de la Vela (2D/1N)
- You can’t do it on your own.
- Tours are also leaving from Riohacha or Santa Marta
From Cabo de la Vela – PNN Macuira – Punta Gallinas:
- It’s part of a 4D/3N tour from Riohacha.
Riohacha's airport? (+)
The airport is 15 min away from the center of Riohacha.
Riohacha bus terminal?
The bus terminal is located 5-10min by taxi from the “center” of Riohacha.