Because of its bad reputation, many travelers decide not to go to Cali. What a mistake!
The city, also known as the salsa capital, is a must if you want to discover this aspect of Colombian culture.
The city has its own rhythm and its people are known to love to party. I like to think that this is linked to the climate of Cali. Indeed, it’s pretty hot during the day, but fortunately, every day around 5 pm, a cool breeze starts to blow.
It’s the daily signal that tells the inhabitants that it’s time to take a walk in the streets. Then, in the evening, people go to salsa bars to dance and have a good time.
From a historical point of view, you won’t have many places to visit. There are a few churches and museums scattered between the old center and the San Antonio district but not much more.
However, it is a fantastic place to learn salsa and an excellent base for exploring the South of Colombia. Indeed, the Pacific coast is only 3 hours away, the coffee region is only 3-4 hours away and Popayan is also 3-4 hours away.
In addition, the mountains and rivers surrounding Cali offer many opportunities for activities such as hiking, canyoning, bird watching, and paragliding.
As with all large cities in South America, I advise you to take a taxi at night and not to bring valuables into view.
Articles you must read before coming to Cali
Getting to Cali? (+)
- Bus at the main terminal (Salitre). I recommend a night bus | Bolivariano & Expreso Palmira | 12 hours
- Many direct flights from the airport | Avianca & Latam | 1 hour |
- Only a few direct flights from the airport | Avianca & Latam | 1h30 |
From Santa Marta:
- Flights from the airport with 1 stopover | Latam & Avianca | 4 h |
From San Agustin:
- Bus at the terminal | Cootrans Laboyana | 8h
- Bus at the main terminal | Transporte Puerto Tejada & Coomotor | 4 hours
- Bus at the main terminal. I recommend a night bus. Schedule – Double-check with the bus company| Flota Magdalena & Coomotor & Bolivariano | 11 hours
- Bus at the main terminal | Expreso Palmira & Expreso Trejos | 3h30
- Bus at the main terminal | Expreso Palmira & Expreso Trejos | 4h30
- Bus at the main terminal | Expreso Palmira & Expreso Trejos | 5h30
Cali's bus terminal? (+)
The bus terminal is 15 min away from Granada and San Antonio. Take a taxi.
Cali's airport? (+)
The Cali’s airport is outside of the city. You can take a taxi or a bus. It takes 1 h.