If you want to explore the Amazon rainforest in Colombia, you will have to go to Leticia. There are daily flights from Bogotá for this purpose.
Although noisy and messy the city of Leticia remains authentic. I do not advise you to plan a day to visit this capital of the Colombian Amazon. However, if you have a little time, I invite you to take a stroll to feel the atmosphere that reigns in the center. Take the time to drink a caipirinha in a bar or to taste Amazonian specialties in one of the many restaurants.
Leticia is on the border between three countries, Peru, Brazil, and Colombia. So I let you imagine the cultural diversity of such a place.
If you have decided to travel to the Amazon, it means that you want to discover new things and get out of your comfort zone.
Here are my guidelines so that you will not be disappointed by your adventure in the Amazon:
- Yes, it’s wet. Yes, there are lots of insects and mosquitoes. Arm yourself with rain gear, long-sleeved shirts, and repellents.
- You have to go through a local agency if you want to experience the deep jungle. It’s pretty expensive. Don’t be surprised to pay around 100€/day/pers (all-inclusive) to go with a good travel agency.
- Some eco-lodges can offer very good all-inclusive packages.
- From December to May, the water rises and floods part of the jungle.
- From June to November, the water goes down and gives way to beaches on the river banks.
- Depending on the water level, the activities on site are different.
- It is very hard to spot wild animals. Many parameters are taken into account in this area, do not come with too high expectations.
- It is not worth staying only 3 days in this area.
Articles to read before traveling to the Amazon:
IMPORTANT: BECAUSE OF THE PANDEMIC, THERE ARE NO FLIGHTS FROM BOGOTA TO LETICIA FOR THE MOMENT (APRIL 2021)
Getting to Leticia? (+)
From Bogota to Leticia:
From Puerto Nariño to Leticia:
- There are 4 departures per day. The last boat leaves around 2 pm. Try to buy your boat ticket at least one day in advance.
- It takes 2 hours.
- You can also book a private boat, but it’s a lot more expensive (around 90$).
Where is the airport?
Leticia airport is located in the north of the city. Count 10-15min by tuk-tuk to get there from Parque Orellana.