Salento is a lovely colonial town with a few colorful facades and one commercial street that leads to a mirador.
Unfortunately, because of Valle de Cocora, the town became so famous that most of the locals went to live elsewhere. Hence, it’s not that authentic anymore. You should avoid it during the high season. Another option is to stay in Filandia and organize a day trip to Valle de Cocora from there.
In Salento, there are 3 main things to do:
- Valle de Cocora
- A multi-day hike in Los Nevados
- A coffee tour
Coffee tours are very different from each other, depending on what you’re looking for: Visit of a coffee farm, in-depth explanations with coffee tasting, etc.
Valle de Cocora is one of the places in Colombia where you can observe the tallest wax palm trees in the world (40 – 60m). Another alternative is to stop in Salamina.
Once you arrive in Valle de Cocora, take the path on your right and enter by the blue gate. By doing so, you will finish by the valley and enjoy some incredible viewpoints.
Essential things to now about Valle de Cocora:
- It’s an easy-medium 5 hours hike, and you won’t find shops on the way. You can order a sandwich to take away at Brunch in the morning.
- Start early as the weather is often better. The first jeep leaves at 5h30 am | 20 min drive
- The last jeep leaves at 6 pm
- Take some money with you. Entrance + Jeep + Acaime
- Acaime is a hummingbird sanctuary. It’s 100% worth it. Going down from Acaime, don’t turn right after the wood fence! It’s a path leading to Los Nevados. Just go straight.