Renowned for its diving and the quality of the seabed that surrounds it, Providencia is a paradise island lost in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. But honestly, Providencia is more than just that.
This island has all the characteristics to make your stay unforgettable:
- No big hotel resorts are allowed
- There is no mass tourism because the island is “difficult” to access and the tourist infrastructure is modest.
- By renting a golf cart or a scooter you have the freedom to move anywhere on the island at any time.
- There are beaches and sumptuous spots…
- This island is all in relief and luxuriant vegetation covers its mountains.
- The atmosphere on the island is unique and still very authentic.
- It is located on the third-largest coral reef in the world.
- You’re going to enjoy the delicious Caribbean specialties…
The island is divided into different neighborhoods that have different characteristics. Choose carefully the location of your stay:
- Old town: this is the main town. There is no beach and it is a rather noisy area. It is also the cheapest neighborhood.
- Freshwater: it’s a nice area with a nice beach and some shops and restaurants.
- SouthWest bay: the trendy side of Providencia. Big and beautiful beach with bars and restaurants.
- Manzanillo: it’s a beautiful white sand beach. There are not many accommodations nearby.
- Bottom House: quiet residential district. The view is beautiful. However, there is no beach.
- Maracaibo: Most of the high-end hotels are in this area. The view is beautiful, but there is no beach.
- Santa Catalina: The island of Santa Catalina is almost stuck to Providencia. You can get there only by taking a damaged wooden pedestrian bridge which, despite its condition, offers a unique and beautiful passage. On this island, it is absolutely calm because vehicles are forbidden.
To get to Providencia, you must first land in San Andres, pay an entrance fee of 112,000 COP, and then take another short flight. Buy your tickets in advance, as seats are limited and flights are few and far between.
Important: there are no ATMs in Providencia. Withdraw everything you need before coming.
Getting to Providencia?
You must first arrive in San Andres. There are flights from Cali, Cartagena, Bogota & Medellin.
From Cali to San Andres:
- By plane: there are 2-3 direct flights per day from Cali airport | Airline: Latam | Duration: 1h50
From Medellín to San Andres:
- By plane: there are 2-3 direct flights per day from the airport Jose Maria Cordoba of Medellín | Companies: Latam & Viva Air | Duration: 1h50 |
From Bogotá to San Andres:
- By plane: there are many direct flights every day from Bogotá airport | Companies: Avianca & Latam | Duration: 2h15 |
From Carthagène to San Andres:
- By plane: there are 2 direct flights per day from Cartagena Airport | Company: Latam | Duration: 1h30 |
From San Andres to Providencia:
- 2 – 3 flights per day. Book at least 1 week in advance with San German Express. | San German | 15 min
- Boat trip with a Catamaran. The experience is quite unpleasant when the ocean is rough. | Conocemos Navegando | 3 hours
Where is the airport?
El Embrujo airport of Providencia is located on the eastern part of the island. It is the most comfortable way to get to Providencia.
Table of Contents
Click on the orange links below ⬇️ and scroll down ⬇️ to read the chosen section.
Where to stay in Providencia
There are various little districts spread on Providencia and one road that encircles the island. Rent a scooter or a golf car to move around. You can also pay for a moto-taxi, but it's not very practical. There is no beach on the Eastside of Providencia. Because it's far from everything, most of the hotels don't offer good value for money. Fortunately, we found some cool places.
Freshwater Bay - $$
El EncantoThe rooms are basic but clean. Helpful staff. 2 min on foot from the beach and restaurants.Get the best price
Freshwater Bay - $$$
Miss ElmaPrivate cabins with direct access to the beach. Delicious restaurant. Clean. Nice staff.Get the best price
Freshwater Bay - $$$
Frenchy'sLovely and friendly owner who rents apartments. Great view. Great tips. Always clean.Get the best price
Santa Catalina - $$$
Miss FranciaExcellent value for money and warm-hearted owner. Delicious food. Great atmosphere.Get the best price
Santa Catalina - $$
Sun. ParadiseLovely and helpful owners. Great view and peaceful place. Rooms spacious and clean.Get the best price
Maracaibo - $$$
Maracaibo viewModern and pleasant apartment. Stunning view. Great host. Excellent value for money.Get the best price
Maracaibo - $$$$
Deep BlueLuxury hotel and excellent customer services. Delicious food. Stunning views. Activities.Learn more
Maracaibo - $$$$
M. del VientoLuxury house with top-notch personalized services. Mind-blowing spot. Delicious food.Learn more
AirbnbStaying at a local's place is an excellent way to enjoy your stay in Providencia. Do it. ;)Get the best price
Things to do in Providencia
All tours in Providencia are pricey, except for diving. Most of the activities are water activities. You can fish, take a boat ride around the island, snorkeling, travel to a secluded atoll. A pleasant thing to do is to rent a scooter and move from places to places.
All day long
Lay backBest beaches are in Manzanillo, Freshwater, and Southwest. Order a cocktail and enjoy.Learn more
4 hours | $
El PicoEl Pico is the highest point on Providencia. 2h to get to the summit. Stunning views.We recommend
All day long
Santa CatalinaSanta Catalina is a lovely and peaceful neighborhood on the other side of the bridge.Learn more
2 hours | Free
Morgan's headDeparture from Santa Catalina. 30 min walk to reach this beautiful viewpoint. Easy.Learn more
5 hours | $
Boat tourThe island is beautiful from the ocean. Most tours include a stop at Crab Cay. 5 hours.Learn more
1 - 3 hours | $$
Crab CayIt's a rock that stands in the middle of the ocean. Mind-blowing view. Paid entrance.Learn more
4 hours | $$
Snorkeling tourThere are beautiful coral reefs around Providencia: Paradise, Marguerita, Morgan's head.We recommend
4 - 5 hours | $$
DivingThere are 7 dive centers in Providencia and it's affordable. There are exceptional spots.We recommend
2 - 3 hours | Free
SnorkelingSwim from Fort Bay beach to Morgan's head. It takes 30 min. Excellent snorkeling spot.
8 hours | $$$$
El FaroA 2h30 boat ride to reach a beautiful atoll where you can dive, fish and cook on the sand.
4 - 6 hours | $$
FishingGo fishing with locals and eat what you catch: Trolling and spearfishing.We recommend
1 - 4 hours | $$$
Cotton treeBeautiful SPA on SouthWest beach. Different options and packages. Great massages.Learn more
2 hours | $
Horse ridingAsk for Rodolfo and plan a 2h expedition from SouthWest to Manzanillo. Great views!We recommend
4 - 8 hours | $
KayakRent a Kayak for a couple of hours in front of the Deep blue and head to Crab Cay.
Where to sleep? What to do? Where to eat? How do you get from one place to another?
Take Smart Decisions
The best Colombia travel guidebook you’ll find on the internet. We answer all your traveler’s concerns. 100% interactive. FREE.