Renowned for its diving and the quality of the seabed that surrounds it, Providencia is a paradise island lost in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. But honestly, Providencia is more than just that.
This island has all the characteristics to make your stay unforgettable:
- No big hotel resorts are allowed
- There is no mass tourism because the island is “difficult” to access and the tourist infrastructure is modest.
- By renting a golf cart or a scooter you have the freedom to move anywhere on the island at any time.
- There are beaches and sumptuous spots…
- This island is all in relief and luxuriant vegetation covers its mountains.
- The atmosphere on the island is unique and still very authentic.
- It is located on the third-largest coral reef in the world.
- You’re going to enjoy the delicious Caribbean specialties…
The island is divided into different neighborhoods that have different characteristics. Choose carefully the location of your stay:
- Old town: this is the main town. There is no beach and it is a rather noisy area. It is also the cheapest neighborhood.
- Freshwater: it’s a nice area with a nice beach and some shops and restaurants.
- SouthWest bay: the trendy side of Providencia. Big and beautiful beach with bars and restaurants.
- Manzanillo: it’s a beautiful white sand beach. There are not many accommodations nearby.
- Bottom House: quiet residential district. The view is beautiful. However, there is no beach.
- Maracaibo: Most of the high-end hotels are in this area. The view is beautiful, but there is no beach.
- Santa Catalina: The island of Santa Catalina is almost stuck to Providencia. You can get there only by taking a damaged wooden pedestrian bridge which, despite its condition, offers a unique and beautiful passage. On this island, it is absolutely calm because vehicles are forbidden.
To get to Providencia, you must first land in San Andres, pay an entrance fee of 112,000 COP, and then take another short flight. Buy your tickets in advance, as seats are limited and flights are few and far between.
Important: there are no ATMs in Providencia. Withdraw everything you need before coming.
NOTE: DUE TO THE DAMAGE OF HURRICANE IOTA IN NOVEMBER 2020, IT IS COMPLICATED TO GET TO AND STAY IN PROVIDENCIA.
Getting to Providencia?
You must first arrive in San Andres. There are flights from Cali, Cartagena, Bogota & Medellin.
From Cali to San Andres:
- By plane: there are 2-3 direct flights per day from Cali airport | Airline: Latam | Duration: 1h50
From Medellín to San Andres:
From Bogotá to San Andres:
- By plane: there are many direct flights every day from Bogotá airport | Companies: Avianca & Latam | Duration: 2h15 |
From Carthagène to San Andres:
- By plane: there are 2 direct flights per day from Cartagena Airport | Company: Latam | Duration: 1h30 |
From San Andres to Providencia:
- 2 – 3 flights per day. Book at least 1 week in advance with San German Express. | San German | 15 min
- Boat trip with a Catamaran. The experience is quite unpleasant when the ocean is rough. | Conocemos Navegando | 3 hours
Where is the airport?
El Embrujo airport of Providencia is located on the eastern part of the island. It is the most comfortable way to get to Providencia.