Providencia is a stunning paradise island, known to be an excellent diving spot in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. And quite frankly, Providencia is even more than that.
This island has got all the features to make your stay unforgettable:
- Hotel resorts are forbidden.
- There is no mass tourism as it’s “complicated” to get there
- You can rent a golf car or a scooter and move freely
- Different secluded beaches
- Lush vegetation
- 3rd biggest coral reef in the world
- Delicious Caribbean specialties
The island is divided into different neighborhoods, with different characteristics. Pick cautiously.
- Old town: The main town. It’s loud, and there is no beach. It’s the cheapest area.
- Freshwater: Lovely area with a beautiful beach and a few shops and restaurants.
- SouthWest bay: The trendy area. Large and beautiful beach with bars and restaurants.
- Manzanillo: Beautiful white-sand beach. There are not many guesthouses nearby.
- Smooth Water: Peaceful residential area. The view is beautiful. However, there is no beach.
- Maracaibo: Most of the upscale hotels are in this area. The view is stunning, but there is no beach.
- Santa Catalina: A broken wooden bridge is the only access to get to this small island. There is a small secluded beach, and it’s also the quietest part of the island. Vehicles are forbidden.
To arrive in Providencia, you must enter in San Andres first – and pay a tax entrance of 112 000 COP,- then take another short flight. Buy your tickets in advance as places are limited.
Important: There is no ATM on Providencia. Withdraw all you need before arriving.