The most beautiful colonial city in Colombia is also home to some of the best Cartagena luxury hotels. With so many options, finding the best value that includes the finest amenities and quality service can be overwhelming.
I can help! After spending a few months in the walled city, I know my way around and can give you the inside scoop on the best hotels in Cartagena de Indias.
Here are the winners for each category:
- Most famous Luxury hotel in Cartagena de Indias: Casa San Agustin
- Best luxury hotel in Cartagena for a business trip: Bastión
- Best luxury aparthotel in Cartagena: Casa Claver
- Luxury hotel in Cartagena with the best architecture: Casa Pombo
- Best boutique hotel in Cartagena de Indias: Casa Pestagua
- Best luxury hotel in Cartagena to have fun: Townhouse
- Luxury hotel in Cartagena with the best-decorated rooms: Casa Lola Deluxe
- Luxury hotel in Cartagena with the best pool: Sofitel Santa Clara
- Best Luxury Cartagena hotel on Isla Barú: Las Islas
- Best luxury hotel in Cartagena for families: Hilton
- Luxury hotel in Cartagena with the best view: Hyatt Regency
Read on to discover all the details.
👉 I spend hundreds of hours researching the best hotels for each destination in Colombia. You’ll save time and avoid booking accommodation you don’t like.
Best Luxury Hotels in Cartagena de Indias
Below is a description of each hotel and why I’ve selected them.
Most famous hotel in Cartagena de Indias: Casa San Agustin
Whether you’re planning a romantic getaway or traveling with a larger group, Hotel Casa San Agustin offers elegant suites in colonial-style buildings to fit your party. The central courtyard features a tranquil pool with outdoor seating to enjoy sightseeing, fine dining, and a spa and wellness center.
- With Junior, prestige, and del Virrey options, you can choose the suite that best fits your travel desires with private outdoor hot tub options.
- Service is priority one with the Casa San Agustin staff. They’ll make you feel like a VIP.
- The Alma restaurant is so delicious you may choose to dine exclusively on-site.
- Visit the Aurum spa to indulge in deep tissue massage, hammam, facials, and more.
- Take advantage of the hotel’s private beach to avoid the crowd (additional cost).
Price: from 579USD /2 pers | Cancellation Policy: 7 days | Location: Old city | Accommodation type: Luxurious Boutique hotel | Outdoor swimming pool: Yes
Best luxury hotel in Cartagena for a business trip: Bastión
Bastión luxury hotel has sophisticated meeting and event spaces, from an open-air terrace to a more intimate VIP room, to accommodate your business travel needs. Enjoy the rooftop pool or relax at the terrace bar while watching the spectacular sunsets when the workday is over.
- Business travel meets a luxury getaway with both business and recreational amenities.
- The small gym and swimming pool make it easy to maintain your fitness regimen while away on business.
- Transportation to and from the airport is a stress saver.
- Enjoy an outstanding breakfast selection to start your workday off right.
- Enjoy their delightful spa services at the end of a busy day to unwind with a massage or facial.
Price: from 229USD/2 pers | Cancellation Policy: 2 days | Location: Old city | Accommodation type: Hotel | Outdoor swimming pool: Yes
Best luxury aparthotel in Cartagena: Casa Claver
For more extended stays, Casa Claver is an excellent option. It’s small and quiet with 5 lofts and 2 extra rooms. The terrace has a gorgeous pool and fantastic views of the city.
- With options to accommodate from 2 to 7, this is your extended stay winner.
- You’ll love the breakfast service available in your room or on the terrace.
- Let the staff assist you with excursions and reservations.
- Immaculately kept rooms are comfortable and spotless.
- Avoid the ground floor room. It’s next to the kitchen and tends to be noisy.
Price: from 380 USD/2 pers | Cancellation Policy: 1 day | Location: Old Walled City | Accommodation type: Aparthotel | Outdoor pool: Yes
Luxury hotel in Cartagena with the best architecture: Casa Pombo
You’ll admire the stunning architecture of this historic colonial property. Graceful arches, extensive balconies, and a rooftop terrace surround you with beauty. The luxury accommodations have modern amenities blended with original details for a unique experience in Casa Pombo.
- Original features such as the stone entry floor and columns surround you with tradition and history.
- Most luxurious rooms feature a private balcony and rooftop terrace to enjoy the gorgeous grounds and local views.
- The hotel is located right off a square with nearby dining and nightlife within walking distance.
- Some of the rooms can be noisy at night.
Price: from 200 USD/2 pers | Cancellation Policy: 3 days | Location: Old City | Accommodation type: Hotel | Outdoor swimming pool: Yes
Best boutique hotel in Cartagena: Casa Pestagua
Each of the 11 luxury rooms in this Moorish palace-inspired mansion features unique Colonial, Republic, and Art Deco styles. The central courtyard of Casa Pestagua is the perfect place to admire the fully restored architectural details while relaxing by the fountain.
- Avoid the crowds at this boutique hotel.
- The on-site spa is just off the courtyard and offers body treatments, rituals, and facials.
- Live music adds to the ambiance.
- The hotel restaurant, Amadeus, can be hit or miss.
- A good alternative is the Ananda hotel boutique.
Price: from 215 USD/2 pers | Cancellation Policy: 3 days| Location: Old Walled City | Accommodation type: Boutique hotel | Outdoor swimming pool: Yes
Best luxury hotel in Cartagena to have fun: Townhouse
With an award-winning Rooftop bar serving drinks from 8 am to 1 am, Townhouse is a prime place to party. The pool bar is open to the public, so you never know who you might meet.
- For even more fun, take in the Members Only piano and sushi bar for a more exclusive crowd. Jazz and burlesque performances every Saturday make this a hotspot moment away from your room.
- Take the party to the beach with free access to sister property Blue Apple beach house, a mere 30-minute boat ride away. Enjoy VIP treatment during your day in the sun.
- Go all-in with the penthouse suite with gorgeous views from a private balcony and plunge pool.
- The creative decor adds to the laid-back atmosphere.
- The Standard rooms do not have windows.
Price: from 140 USD/2 pers | Cancellation Policy: 30 days | Location: Old Walled City | Accommodation type: Boutique hotel | Outdoor pool: Yes
Luxury hotel in Cartagena with the best-decorated rooms: Casa Lola Deluxe
Casa Lola Deluxe has artistically designed interiors with great attention to detail. The rooms are dazzling and comfortable. Beauty draws the eye in every space, from the magnificent floor tiles to the unique ceiling treatments and carefully curated artwork.
- These rooms will take your breath away. Every detail is coordinated to please the eye.
- Lolita’s rooftop bar provides great views with a daily happy hour. Sample tapas or dessert poolside while watching the sunset.
- The proximity to the Getsemani neighborhood means that great food and entertainment are moments away.
- Dona Lola’s restaurant serves a sampling of delicious Caribbean and local dishes with fresh seafood in a lushly appointed dining area.
- Guests can hear the music from the rooftop bar in many rooms. Be choosy when booking your accommodations.
Price: from 219 USD/2 pers | Cancellation Policy: 1 day | Location: Getsemaní | Accommodation type: Boutique hotel | Outdoor pool: Yes
Luxury hotel in Cartagena with the best pool: Sofitel Santa Clara
Sofitel Legend Santa Clara is built in a 17th-century convent with beautiful colonial architecture. A luxurious array of amenities await you. The magnificent courtyard centers around an impressive swimming pool surrounded by lush tropical greenery.
- The magnificent 260 square meters outdoor pool is the largest in the Cartagena city center.
- Two restaurants serve a range of cuisines from Mediterranean and French to local favorites.
- The fitness center offers a range of state-of-the-art equipment and personal trainers.
- There is a complete wellness center and a hot tub to relax after a fitness session.
- Two additional bars offer live music, rooftop views, and hookah.
- Try a room that includes butler service for an extra special touch.
- The outdoor swimming pool closes at 7 pm, which may not be optimal if you want to relax at the end of a day of activity.
- Hotel Charleston Santa Teresa is another excellent alternative.
Price: from 340 USD/2 pers | Cancellation Policy: 3 days | Location: Old Walled City | Accommodation type: Luxurious Hotel | Outdoor swimming pool: Yes
Best Luxury Cartagena hotel on Isla Barú: Las Islas
Get away from Cartagena’s walled city and enjoy the Caribbean views in a treetop or sea-level bungalow nestled on the edge of Parque Nacional Natural Corales del Rosario y de San Bernardo. The eco-conscious accommodations of Las Islas feel like a secluded island with the amenities found in the heart of the city.
- Reserve a room on the private Isleta where you can enjoy the white sand beaches as you kayak, snorkel, and relax in a hammock on your private deck.
- Choose from sea-level or treetop bungalows with private pool options or go for an adventure on Las Islas’s Casa Navegante Cholón 2 bedroom catamaran.
- The hotel includes a bioluminescent night tour and an Astro-tour as part of your stay, as well as booking assistance for additional excursions and activities.
- Relax with traditional spa treatments or rejuvenate in the tranquil meditation room and yoga classes surrounded by nature.
- There’s only one main road into the area, and you can get stranded if it’s inaccessible. Opt for a boat ride from Cartegena for a shorter, more reliable trip.
Price: from 426 USD/2 pers | Cancellation Policy: 3 days | Location: South of Isla Barú | Accommodation type: Luxurious Bungalow | Outdoor pool: Yes
Best luxury hotel in Cartagena for families: Hilton
The Hilton is an excellent choice for traveling with kids with outdoor pools, a game room, and a private beach. Located on the coast of El Laguito, suites are available with Caribbean sea views and space for the whole family.
- Take advantage of three on-site outdoor pools complete with a waterslide, hot tubs, lounge chairs, and poolside bar.
- The beach is just moments away so that you can stay for minutes or hours.
- Budget-friendly options make this one of the most economical luxury hotels in Cartagena for families.
- Casual dining is available for kid-friendly options.
- This location could use some design updates.
Price: from 152 USD/2 pers | Cancellation Policy: 1 day | Location: El Laguito | Accommodation type: Hotel | Outdoor swimming pool: Yes
Luxury hotel in Cartagena with the best view: Hyatt Regency
Take in the spectacular views of the Caribbean and Cartagena des Indias’s old city from a well-appointed room in this high-end hotel in Bocagrande. Enjoy three pools and beautiful patio dining. Hyatt Regency is a perfect hotel for travelers who like modern décor.
- The waters surrounding this property ensure a wide selection of rooms with stunning views.
- The gorgeous infinity pools are a great place to enjoy the natural beauty of the ocean without leaving the hotel.
- Take advantage of the proximity to restaurants, a grocery store, and the old city walls. All are within walking distance.
- Be aware that all rooms have motion-activated lights. This convenience can become a nighttime challenge for some.
Price: from 128USD/2 pers | Cancellation Policy: 1 day | Location: Bocagrande | Accommodation type: Hotel | Outdoor swimming pool: Yes
More than 3000 travelers have already used our Colombia travel guide
I’ve been exploring Colombia since 2015 and put all my knowledge into one Ebook. It’s free and accessible now. 👇
How to choose your hotel in Cartagena de Indias
Keep these tips in mind when booking your holiday in Cartagena de Indias.
👉 Want to know everything about Cartagena To learn where are the best places, and avoid tourist traps and beginner’s mistakes? Nothing could be easier. I put it all together in our guide to Cartagena de Indias.
Service & accommodations in luxury hotels in Cartagena de Indias
→ With many of these hotels being historical Spanish colonial residences, noise can be a problem. Casa Claver, Bastión, Las Islas are quieter options.
→ Consider the hotel Casa San Agustin, Sofitel Santa Clara, or the Hyatt Regency if you require an elevator.
→ If you come to Cartagena de Indias to expect a European standard of service, you may be disappointed. Caribbean coastal culture is more relaxed when it comes to organization. Try to roll with it and choose Casa San Agustin and Sofitel Santa Clara for superior service.
→ Avoid choosing the least expensive rooms. These rates are to attract visitors to the booking sites. Be aware that cheaper ground floor rooms often get little natural light or are located near noisy areas, such as the kitchen or the reception.
Attractions & surrounding areas
→ If you’re looking to party, Centro and Getsemaní offer a variety of nightclubs. Casa Lola Deluxe and Townhouse are good choices for enjoying the club scene.
→ Bocagrande is a good option for those that want to enjoy more economical and modern beachfront hotels in Cartagena with access to restaurants and entertainment. The historic center is only minutes away by taxi, so it’s easy to get in a day to explore the old colonial city.
→ Staying in Old Town is a safe alternative to experiencing the area’s heritage. In this area, hotels in Cartagena are typically renovated romantic colonial houses. offering a level of luxury not found in other parts of the city.
→ Rafael Núñez International Airport is the closest option to Old Town. Most of the suggested luxury hotels in the area are only about 3.5 miles by taxi from the airport.
Weather and tourist season in Cartagena de Indias
→ Cartagena stays in the 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit range year-round. December through February is the sunniest and most crowded season. June and July are also popular. September-November is your best bet to avoid crowds if you don’t mind the rain.
→ Three days is long enough to see the main attractions and enjoy a day at the beach. You’ll have to stay longer if you want to appreciate the Rosario Islands.
FAQs: Luxury hotels in Cartagena de Indias
If you’re still trying to decide between two or three options, these FAQs might help you make up your mind.
Which luxury hotels in Cartagena are close to the beach?
The Hilton isn't just good for families. It's also one of the closest properties to the beach. If you want something near the beach but more secluded, try Las Islas.
Which luxury hotels in Cartagena have a nice pool?
Casa San Agustin, Sofitel Santa Clara, and the Hyatt Regency have excellent pools for guests.
Which are the best Cartagena luxury hotels for couples?
Couples seeking a romantic getaway in Cartagena de Indias should head to Casa San Agustin or Casa Pestagua.
Which are the best Cartagena luxury hotels for young people?
Townhouse is hands down the best choice in Cartagena de Indias for young people looking for luxury that extends well into the evening, especially with the rooftop pool bar.
Best hotel in the old city of Cartagena de Indias
If you want to stay in the walled city of Cartagena, choose Casa San Agustin or Townhouse.
Small luxury hotels in Cartagena
Casa Claver has just five lofts, but it offers luxury and security. Another small luxury hotel is Casa Pombo, with just five apartments available.
Which Cartagena luxury hotels have the best rooftop pool?
The Hotel Charleston Santa Teresa and Bastion luxury hotel have the best rooftop pool in Cartagena de Indias. Nothing better than sipping a cocktail by the pool while admiring the century-old roofs of the historic buildings.
Which luxury hotels have the best Spa facilities in Cartagena?
The Santa Teresa Spa and Aurum in Casa San Agustín both have the facilities and background to take care of you during your stay in Cartagena de Indias.
The bottom line on the best luxury hotels in Cartagena
Cartagena is a beautiful and romantic Caribbean coastal city with a rich colonial history and vibrant local culture to sample and appreciate. A stay in Cartagena de Indias gives you access to all the best attractions and experiences in the area.
Don’t choose your hotel randomly anymore